When do you start brushing teeth?

My daughter is 9months old and has 4 teeth. When do you start brushing? I have also heard people say to put baby toothpaste on them to protect. Is this true?

Lauren24

Asked by Lauren24 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started my daughter at three months. Like the other mom said a little is better than none. MAke sure you brush her teeth every morning and every night....after brushing at night, nothing but water untill morning. At nine months you could use a rubber finger brush, you can find them at walmart in the baby section where they have baby nail clippers and such. As for the tooth paste, it should come with some or you may have to find it in the tooth paste section. I use Oral B stages Baby Toothpaste.When she is a year old you can switch up to a toodler extra soft toothbrush and use the same toothpaste......But, didn't the Pedi say anything about teeth brushing when her teeth came in? Mine told me to start before they actually irupted and askes every time we are there if we are brushing.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 6:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• yes, start brushing your daughter's teeth now. especially after formula and when older, milk. just try to get her teeth as best you can, a little brushing is better than not at all. you can put infant/toddler toothpaste, that's fine...it's more flavorful for babies, but, plain water on toothbrush is fine too..
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• The sooner the better!!!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• when they have one ;) but befor ethat they recommend wiping their gums with a wash cloth now and then. There are also toys that help with introducing tooth brushing at an early age by having textures that resembler a baby tooth brush concidentally that is my babys favorite teether lol
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 5:42 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• You should start as soon as they have teeth. There's special fluoride free baby/toddler toothpaste. Sometimes they come with a little rubber finger toothbrush. You put it over your fingertip and it has tiny soft bristles.
    JerbysMom

Answer by JerbysMom at 6:39 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I started before the first tooth came in
    valerie0103

Answer by valerie0103 at 7:12 PM on Jun. 6, 2009