Can you breastfeed and drink achoholl?

Someone told me you can and I didn't believe them. Is this true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldnt!! maybe a glass of wine and thats it. It goes straight to the milk. That's why you still have eat healthy and be very carefull of what meds you take. If you do drink, do it right after you feed the baby so it has time to go away. And never 20 mins with in the time you are getting ready to feed.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• you can if you breastfeed first, then drink (don't drink to get drunk)...then you can pump and dump.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 5:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Also there are little strips you can get at Walgreens to test if there is any remaining alcohol in your breast milk. Just incase you had a glass of wine the night before and want to just be sure.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:04 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• you can drink alcohol in general but you do have to watch your alcohol consumption and feedings. Never ever nurse while your drinking or shortly after. From what I have heard you are supposed to pump and dump up until three hours after your last alcoholic beverage. If I was going to drink while nursing I would get the strips a previous poster mentioned because you can never be too careful. But alcohol wasn't an issue for me since I don't drink it to begin with
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 5:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• 1-2 drinks, you are likely fine to nurse. Anything more then that wait 2-3 hrs per drink.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• You can, though I never did. I heard that you can have like one drink and have to pump and dump up to three hours after the drink. So if you do, make sure you have extra breast milk in the fridge.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 6:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:44 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• nurse before drinking and la leche league as well as amercian caademy of pediatrics says, sober to drive, sober enough to nurse....buzzed is a no-go. No need to pump and dump, no need to skip a feeding most times unless you plan to get trashed. Remember darker beers willr aise supply but alcohol can dehydrate so drink extra water too...
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/alcohol.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• You don't have to dump your blood to get alcohol out of it so you don't have to dump your milk...same idea only MUCH less alcohol crosses into the BM than into your blood stream
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:47 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Colli...
    Sweet anon, I believe that you are being not only needlessly rude, but also a tad ignorant. Two links have been presented with actual medical facts about a breastfeeding mother consuming alcohol. A nursing mother having a glass of wine is not dangerous, particularly if she is aware of the current research guidelines about amounts, etc.

You can spout your half-formed opinions and condemn a woman for asking a question (in which she said she heard this and did NOT agree, so your vehemence and snarkiness was totally inappropriate) but quite frankly, you're the only one here who sounds like a bit of a grumpy drunk. Perhaps a nap would be in order, dearest?
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2009