How can you keep a 7 week old awake?

Or do you just let them sleep as much as they want? My son is almost 8 weeks old and he is still sleeping so much. Like today he has been awake maybe a total of 2 hours since about 8am. He wakes up to eat, but its like he cant fully wake up, and then if I try to play with him or keep him awake he cries and is soooo crabby. My last baby was 14 yrs ago and he wasnt a good sleeper so this is new to me.Is this ok sleeping ?And when he has lazy days like this, he still sleeps good at night, so its not that he has the days and nights confused either.thanks!

Bearsjen

Asked by Bearsjen at 5:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he's sleeping at night and STILL sleeping during the day, BE GRATEFUL! Lol.

I thought you were going to say that you were trying to put him on a schedule and you needed to keep him awake in the evening or something, but.....if he sleeps at night, by all means, let him sleep! :)
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• At 7 weeks, let them sleep! Most babies dont get on a pattern untill like 4 months.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I would let him rest as much as he wants at that age as long as there is nothing wrong with him
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 5:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I thought so but a few friends have made me momentarily doubt myself. ty ladies!Hey i am all for sleeping lol, as I said my first was a lil booger with sleeps so this is an angel baby.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• At this stage in your son's life it is normal for him to sleep alot... Eventually he will start becoming more alert in which he will stay awake for longer periods of time... Just remember every person is different and has there own pace in which they develope.. there are many types of ways to wake up a child For example: a cool cloth on there body or gently stroking the spine, you can also wake a baby by changing their diaper or sitting them up in your lap while holding him... these are just some tips for the future. But as for his sleep he's still gettinjg used to his surroundings and it might take a little longer than your eldest child... Patience is the key.

If in time it don't change you may ask your doctor if they have any ideas to help improve the matter.
    LinaBug08

Answer by LinaBug08 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Probably just a little growth spurt. I wount worry too much about it unless he has any other symptoms like not eating enough or often enough or a fever and so on. If it contiunes for more than a couple of days you may want to ask the pedi.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• That little I just let them sleep as much as they want -- their brain development is greatest when they sleep - and the way newborns naturally sleep (the amount of REM, etc) is exactly perfect for optimal development. So I figure my job is just to work with what baby needs to do. :-)

You might want to get hold of a baby carrier like a sling, you can find lots of info at The Babywearer on different types and the benefits. Worn babies, even if they sleep a lot in the carrier, tend to sleep better at night. It also just makes life easier for you!

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Just let him sleep. As long as he eats enough he's fine. Mine would sleep for 6 hour stretches sometimes before I HAD to wake him up to eat. Enjoy the extra sleep while you can!
    JerbysMom

Answer by JerbysMom at 6:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2009