How can I nicely tell my step-mom that my baby isn't calling her Nana?

Long before I ever got pregant my mom told me that she wanted her grand babies to call her Nana - and I was fine with that. My parents are divorced and I knew my dad wanted to be called Grandpa but I didn't know what his wife wanted to be called, but the other day she went to pick up my baby and said, "Come to Nana." Inside I was screaming, "Noo!" but didn't want to be mean. How can I nicely tell her my baby isn't calling her that and to pick something else?!

(This is the first grandbaby)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• LOL, We had all the names picked out for our kids to call their grandparents, and my daughter changed all that. My mom is "Nana" she was originally supposed to be "grandma" and my MIL is Mimi-Mama and she was originally supposed to be Nana... Don't count on your kids calling them what you want them to call them.

Plus, my kids have two Papa's, one one each side of the family.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I dont see anything wrong with the kids calling both grandmas nana, I have a step mother and a step father, my kids call all the grandparents the same thing..it helps with confusion. I know your step mom is not your real mom but she will be a very important part of their lives. It doesnt show disrepect to your mom, it just shows the kids they are all important...MY kids call my step mom mawmaw, but if they are talking about my mom they call her mawmaw jan but just mawmaw if she is the only one around. If you are uncomfortable with it, first find out why before you get the kids involved, if it is still an issue have your step mom come up with something cool also to call her...It can be tough with more than 2 grandmas but you guys will figure it out.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:49 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• What does it matter what your baby calls your step-mom. If you two get along, I don't see a problem. She will have 2 Nana's, my kids have two grandmas and two grandpas. They know the difference between the two and love each of them. I say, let your baby name your parents/stepparents. If she calls them Nana, Memaw, Mimi, Oma, or Grandma, it's not worth a battle, is it?
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 5:51 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• why not have her be nana and then her first name? She still isn't nana and she never will be but this is special for her too. If that isn't feasible I would just sit her down nicely and say a long time ago my mom got dibs on nana but we would love to have our baby call you _____. My father switches between grandpa and papa (my mother is nana by the way) but his other grandpa is grandpa tom. You could be cool about like learn the word for grandma in another language and call her that. It doesnt get more unique or special than that!
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 5:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Tell her you don't want to confuse the child by having 2 Nanas. Tell her that surely she'd like to be called something as unique as she is (yes that's butt kissing but it works to get what I want done) and not something someone else is called.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:56 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• In our family, we are called Gramma Linda or Gramma Kay...using the gramma's real name. Then they can keep everyone straight and not get confused. For some reason when I hear Nana, I think of the dog in Peter Pan. But that's just me.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Ask her to pick out something that fits her. Like Mimi, or Gigi or maymay. Tell her she should choose something that is cool like she is
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I think you should let the baby call her what she wants.Toddlers make up names for them when they learn to talk.Just be glad she loves your daughter that much.I wish my grandma was still alive.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 6:22 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• K, technically she is a grandma..and excited about the baby, so what does it matter...when your babys older she'll understand how she has more than one or two nanas...if your absolutely opposed to the idea..then im with pnwmom, ask her to pick something else because you kinda already gave that name away...be ready for some crazy looks and hurt feelings though!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• kids are goin to say the darndest things. and maybe its not really a prob for your kid to call both ladies nana. but if it bothers you or your mom then pull your step mom aside. tell her sweetly that nana was specially reserved for your mom and you would like to help her pick another affectionate name for your baby to call her. then start saying it so your kid picks up on it. i think the sooner the better. but there still a chance your kid goin to call her what she started with.
    Luvli1andlil1

Answer by Luvli1andlil1 at 6:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2009