What kind of finger foods can I give my nine month old?

I'm so nervous with all the foods they tell you NOT to give to babies that I might give her something that is bad for her. I want to start giving her more regular food and less jar food.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Food & Drink

• mashed potatoes, i gave my daughter cut up carrots that were REALLY REALLY soft and soggy... gerber puffs, cheerios have the hole in the middle so that is ok, yogurt... i let my dd try a lot of foods, i just cut them up REALLY REALLY tiny. Like half the size of my pinky fingernail... i gave her strawberries, banana's, watermelon... small pieces of chicken nuggets (the meat from the inside).
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• my 9 month old tries whatever we eat just really tiny. and he doesn't usually have meat cuz he can't chew it well but everything else he loves.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 6:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• One of the first real foods I gave my girls when we went out were french fries. Especially the fat ones! I would take off the ends and tear/cut them into small pcs. Of course, mashed potatoes, pudding, applesauce, anything that is edible by spoon. Cheerios or puffed rice. I also used to let them gnaw on a frozen mini bagel. Seemed to help the teething, but you have to be careful and watch them. Some have very strong gums and will break off big chunks and choke.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 6:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• mine loved avocado... just cut it small or mash it.....and the stores have freeze dried fruits and veggies just for beginer eaters
    Sillvercandy

Answer by Sillvercandy at 7:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• watermelon, cut up ravioli, drain the juice from veggie soup, the veggies in that are very soft.
    canned fruit cocktail minus the grapes, apple wedges and large slices of cucumbers just for the teething and getting used to healthy food, so just watch closely. stay away from sugar foods like, fruit loops. No point in teaching them the taste of refined sugar, plus you don't want cavities.
    baked potatoes sweet or regular, just take off the peel and cut into bits..any canned veggie
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:59 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Understand that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Stay away from the allergy trigger foods Before baby turns one (not a complete list), no wheat, dairy, soy, citrus, strawberries; before two no chocolate, nuts or honey. Stay away from the baby "puffs", they have sugar.
    Finger foods we used at this age: avocado, baked sweet potato, puffed brown rice, puffed corn, soft pear, banana, steamed and peeled zucchini, cooked beans (I think I took off the skin). The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 7:05 AM on Jun. 7, 2009