How can I get my child over 5 to stop sucking her thumb?

My daughter started sucking her thumb after 3 yrs old after seeing her best friend in daycare do it. Now she won't stop. She's 9. Help!

amoremio

Asked by amoremio at 3:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• My daughter has the same problem and the last resort is to go to the dentist and get a piece put in her mouth that will make her stop.
    Mami2LelanChloe

Answer by Mami2LelanChloe at 3:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Best thing I can think of is getting her the very discussing tasting nail polish that’s special for stopping bighting your nails
    sara76c

Answer by sara76c at 3:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I used to do daycare from my home. One girl that I babysat was 6 and still sucked her thumb. Both her mom and I were sick of her doing it. I told her that if she wanted to suck her thumb she had to stand in the corner and do it. (Her mom said this was okay she tried everything else). After two days of doing this she didn't suck her thumb anymore.
    ameliasmama1

Answer by ameliasmama1 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• my sister sucked her thumb till she was 16. If you've tried reasoning with the child and informed her of the risks, like crooked teeth, then you may have to visit the dentist. They will put a device in the roof of her mouth that looks like a fork. Thats the only way my sis quit
    bvona

Answer by bvona at 3:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I agree with the standing in the corner deal. At 9 years old she'll quickly realize that it's boring and won't do it anymore.
    mellie369

Answer by mellie369 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2008