Sinking/rising soft spot?

My son is 6 1/5 weeks old, and I notice from time to time his front fontanelle sinks in. It's not all the time; it varies throughout the day/day to day. I read that it could be a sign of dehydration with other symptoms, but he eats well (average 4oz. every 2-4 hours), goes through his daipers at a good pace, and is usually very alert and never spits up.

I suppose my questions are:

Have you ever had a child that had a sunken fontanelle with no other symptoms? If so, did you see the pediatrician and what did they say?

Should I be concerned?

Is it common, or do I need to call the pediatrician?

Thanks for any and all help ladies!

Reulia

Asked by Reulia at 6:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call the pedi to be safe. you want to make sure its fusing together properly
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 6:04 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• All of my kids did that and the pedi said it was normal. It can be a sign of dehydration but it they are eating well and peeing well then thats not the case. My husband used to call it the "Icky Thump" when you could see the pulse lol
    valerie0103

Answer by valerie0103 at 6:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it. Many tend to be slightly sunken... it's probably normal for your son as long as he's eating well and you have no other concerns that he might be dehydrated.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2009