How can I get my soon to be 4 yr old to poop in the toilet?

I have a 3 yr old who will be 4 in August that will not poop in the potty at home. She was doing pretty good for a couple of months, we weren't having any accidents. Now she refuses to go poop at home, she will poop in the toilet at granny's and at daycare. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mom_of_KBTC

Asked by Mom_of_KBTC at 6:47 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My two year old did not like intially pooping on the potty. Not a fan of it still but getting better. We read Everybody Poops many times casually before bed, he watches daddy poop, and we don't put any pressure on him. We do sit on the potty every hour on the hour. He is completely potty trained as far as urine. We recently look at our own poops with him after we are done and joke about what they look like. We decided his last poop in the potty looked a bit like a train. That seems to be his clincher. He needs to have the motivation of knowing we are going to look at it and make comments on what it looks likes. It works for him. He also gets a mini m&m after each poop. We sing songs and read while he is going to the bathroom. It has become a family event. Eventuallly it will not bethat way. By the way, my child also pooped at school and not at home. Not that uncommon. Peer pressure can be a good thing.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• thanks. we used to give her m&m's when she pooped in the potty, then she just started going on her own and we would all get excited and clap. we would tell her how proud we were of her and that seemed to be enough for her, we'd wipe, she'd flush and then go back to playing. when she started poopin her pants again we tried the m&m's again but she didn't care. Thanks again for the suggestions, I'm to the point where I'll try anything!
    Mom_of_KBTC

Answer by Mom_of_KBTC at 7:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2009