Vaccines causing Autism?

How true or false is this?

tjandjenna

Asked by tjandjenna at 6:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Health

• It's completely false and I don't know where this BS keeps coming from. Parents who choose NOT to vax at all have child(ren) with Autism.

Anonymous

• It is unproven, some like to space the shots out so it doesnt over load a newborn/infants system but it is not proven..I dont think healthcare works would vac their children if it did, or have to have vacs themselves.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• It is said that they may because of all of the mercury that is in the shots. But nothing is proven but u can also chose to have the shots more spread out in that case so theres not a bunch at once...or dont give your baby unnecessary shots...like i dont think Ill be getting my baby the flu shot or the chicken pox one...but Im not for sure
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 7:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• There's no proof that they do not cause autism. As for there being unvaccinated people with autism, so what? There are nonsmokers who get lung cancer, that doesn't mean smoking doesn't cause lung cancer.
    There are studies that link the actual measles virus from the MMR shot to autism (that info is in Dr Sears' The Vaccine Book).
    There are also lots of other serious conditions that are caused by vaccines.

jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 7:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Ok, I'm on both sides of the fence with this one...from my own personal experience. I am absolutely not advocating to NOT vaccinate your child. There are so many diseases out there that the vaccines protect our children from. Having said that, I truly believe that the Vaccination given to my 10year old son when he was 18 months old caused him to have Asperger's Syndrome.
    This is on the Autism Spectrum at the extreme high end. It effects communication skills and socialization skills among other things. My son missed his previous vaccination due to a very bad cold, so trusting that the doctor knew more than I did, I allowed him to give my son a double dose of the vaccine at 18 months of age. I look back and realize how he changed over night. He stopped being the happy, smiling, friendly little boy he was before, and became withdrawn, angry, and he stopped eating. Completely. Even now, at 10, he rarely eats food on his own.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• So I guess you can catch Autism? That's basically what you are saying. People who don't smoke but have lung cancer were probably around people who smoked which they inhaled their 2nd hand smoke which is worse. Don't compare the 2 cuz it makes you look stupid. Autism has been proven to be genetic.

Anonymous

• At the age of 3 we had to have a feeding tube placed in his stomach. It was removed at age 5, at age 8, he nearly died from refusing food,and had the tube put back in.
    Doctors argue that there's no proof of the vaccinations causing Autism. I however, have lived it and I have met other parents at the Children's hospital with similar beliefs as my own. The vaccination that children receive at 18 months of age seems to be the one that causes the greatest risk. Each parent I've spoken to says the same thing about how their child "changed overnight." Some cases are mild, some extremely severe.
    I guess it's a personal choice. However, some states don't allow parents to make that choice,refusing to allow children into daycares/school without all vaccinations in place. My state is one of those. We also are required to make sure our children have 2 sets of the Chicken Pox Vaccine to go and to stay in school. I've never heard
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:15 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• any bad reports on the Chicken Pox vaccine.
    Again, I am not AGAINST Vaccinations for the most part. But I do believe that there needs to be more research on the ones given around 18 months of age. All I can tell you is what my experience has been, and it has not been a pleasant one. The trouble with Asperger's children is they usually appear perfectly normal. Their differences are in behavior, and therefore can be treated so cruelly by both peers and other adults. They live very lonely lives having so much difficulty in making and keeping friends. It's heartbreaking. I encourage, each and every parent to research all Vaccinations before getting them. And, never, ever allow your doctor to convince you that it's perfectly safe to get a double dose of one if it was missed earlier. It's not safe. i'd rather have a child behind schedule on shots, rather than a child who has to pay for a bad decision for restof his life.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Autism has been proven to be genetic.

According to who?  There is no autism gene.  We KNOW it is NOT genetic because there are cases where only one of a set of identical twins has autism.  The point of my analogy was that there is more than one cause of autism.  Vaccines do not cause autism in everyone, not everyone who has autism got it from vaccines; both those statements can be true while leaving room for the fact that sometimes vaccines cause autism.

jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 12:19 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• This is an extremely controversial topic, and I urge you to do your own research and draw your own conclusions.
    When we were researching and debating the vaxing issue for our child, we concluded that there were ways to vaccinate and reduce the risk of serious reactions. We choose to delay the first vaccine until after the 1st birthday; do one vax per office visit with single dose preservative free vaccines. One of us always read the insert before allowing the shot to be given.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:40 AM on Jun. 7, 2009