How serious is high blood pressure during pregnancy?

I know it's serious but HOW serious?

By this I mean...what can happen?

What are the risk to my baby?

What are the risk to me?

I would especially love to here from mom's who have been through this before! If you have:

How many weeks were you when it started?
How was it handled/controlled?
Did you develop full blown pre-eclampsia or just have pregnancy induced hypertention?
What was the out come?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• its very serious. your kidneys can shut down. you can start having seizures depriving the baby of oxygen causing retardation.
    BusyB-Mommy

Answer by BusyB-Mommy at 7:00 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Also I know that my blood pressure is already high but what are the signs of it worsening. My doctor said "if it worsen's go to Labor and Delivery" but I wasn't feeling bad to begin with. I just went into my appointment and it was high.

I meant to ask her but I was so nervous and there was so much going on that I just completely forgot!

THANKS LADIES!!
    Anonymous

• I had pih I never was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia. High blood pressure can cause alot of problems for you and the baby. I know it can cause stroke, heartattack, and kidney problems, of yeah nd siezures. As for the baby I'm not completely sure... Just do what your dr says!
    kcriswell

Answer by kcriswell at 7:06 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• you both could die
    Anonymous

• It's like the previous poster said. I had pre-eclampsia scares with 2 or my 3 pregnancies. I didn't have it but it did scare me. I was so swollen the last month, that I couldn't wear any shoe except expandable sandals. Those were too tight at the end. The edema was awful. At the last couple of weeks, my blood pressure would be high. The doctor would make me lay down for about 15 minutes and then check my blood pressure. I hated those stress tests. I was told to not work and to lay down except to use the bathroom and make myself a sandwich or grab something to drink. If it is life-threatening, the doctor will insist that you must get to the hospital ASAP.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 7:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• It's one of the sad reasons why I cannot have any more children. Not whether my pipes still work, but far too dangerous to me. Not too long ago, my pressure was at 189/130. I took medication, but it slowed me down where I was too drowsy to drive. I'm trying to regulate my pressure through walk meditation exercise. I still get my period and my pipes still work, but I having children is far too dangerous for me, let alone for a pregnancy. I'm glad I have a daughter already, but still struggling through the transition of life of losing my fertile years.

Our health is very important, because we only have one body (and one short life).

BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 7:13 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• doctors control it well but it can turn into a very serious condition. i had pregnancy induced hypertension when i was pregnant with my 1st child, it started out around 20 weeks, it wasn't too bad but every visit it got worse. my face was swollen as were my hands and feet and i felt very tired and nervous all the time, also had shaking once in a while from panic attacks. some of that was normal though from it being a first pregnancy. anyway, they ended up inducing labor at 38 weeks because my pressure was 170/110, i had a beautiful, uncomplicated birth, but my pressures were still high after and had to go on a magnesium drip for about 3 days. once i was home for about 2 weeks it went away and ive never had blood pressure problems since.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:35 PM on Jun. 6, 2009