Does anyone have any advise on how to potty train a boy who is a 2 and 1/2 an only child and very strong willed. Shows signs of being ready but refuses to go on the pot.

He will actually hold it until you put a diaper on him or he will pee on the floor instead of peeing in the pot. He knows when he has to go potty because he will tell you he needs to change. I have tried regular underwear. We have tried making a game out it. We have tried going with daddy. Basically everything short of punishment.

amjohnson

Asked by amjohnson at 7:24 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• is he lazy or just a baby still?
    Anonymous

• At 2.5? I'd just wait. You can fight him on it now, and have it take 6 months, or you can just wait 6 months and have it take 3 days.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:39 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Have you tried bribery?  I used Gerber fruit chews.  My mother used M&M's with my sister and I.  It did not take my son long to figure out to get his favorite treat he had to sit on the potty.  He was also in a day care that would help parents potty train.  Good Luck

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Im with collinsky. Too early. Give him time.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:38 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• LAZY? He's a toddler! Jesus, people.

I'm with Collinsky. He's still LITTLE. Just let him be, and he'll do it in his own time. Don't push, or you can make it take longer.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 10:44 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I was in therapy when we began potty training my SS (he lives with us full time). I don't have any other children and didn't have any hands on experience to draw from. My therapist told me for a boy, 2-21/2 is still pretty young. So we eased up. He's 3 1/2 and potty trained 85%, it's gets thrown off every weekend he goes to his BM's though, because she doesn't potty train consistently (if at all, we're not sure).
    Anonymous

• Are you rewarding his attempts or success with anything that motivates him? Are you taking him on a timed schedule? Don't ask him if he needs to go potty, just take him every 40-60 minutes and have him sit, maybe more often if he goes frequently. Eventually, he will go when you take him. You will reward him and he will get excited and want to do it again. I would keep him in diapers until he has success for a couple of weeks, then move into regular underwear. Bypass the pullups! Take him on a schedule, prasie/reward him, use underwear.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 7:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2009