I've broken Jake of the bottle. Should he not get a sippy of formula/milk at night?

I know part of not having a bottle at night is because of tooth decay but I'm worried he'll get hungry in the middle of night since he eats dinner about 5:30

tammy848

Asked by tammy848 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he should be able to eat again if he is really hungry cuz that is a long time for a lil one to go without eating but you give the bottle and take it away. Or you could try a sippy right before bedtime and then wash his teeth and then put him to bed so you dont have to worry about it. But never leave the sippy thru the night.
    Anonymous

• You can give him formula after his dinner but before you go to bed... like before or after the bath, as long as you brush teeth afterward. He may well be hungry during the night because his body is used to eating at that time (if you always have a snack at 10 pm, you notice if you skip it), but like any habit, it can be broken. Most healthy babies can comfortably fast for 10-12 hours by 6 months of age... I'm guessing yours is much older... he should be fine. The only alternative to dropping that feeding is to brush or wipe the teeth after... but both you'll both sleep better if you drop the feeding!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:23 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Rereading your post, I can't tell now if you're talking about the bedtime cup of milk or the middle of the night. If it's just before bed, just make sure it's not the last thing he does before the crib so you can brush teeth!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:26 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I sure hope you aren't giving your child a cup or a bottle during the middle of the night or allowing your child to sleep with it. That's unacceptable. You have to break this now. You need to try new things to help your child sleep all night. Make sure he has a snack and cup before bed.
    Anonymous

• I would give him a snack/cup of milk before bed, but not during the night. Remember to brush his teeth before bedtime though.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I guess I should have been a little clearer in my question. Jakob is not getting a bottle or sippy in the middle of the night. He was getting a bottle about 1/2 hour before bed. I've since taken the bottle away and started giving him a sippy cup after his bath and am brushing his teeth after he drinks the formula. I'm just curious if he shouldn't be getting that last cup of formula before bed or am I ok because I am brushing his teeth?
    tammy848

Answer by tammy848 at 8:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• If you are brushing his teeth after then that is fine! It doesn't really matter if it is a bottle or a sippy cup. The problem is when baby has the bottle or sippy cup in bed with them, or is carrying it around drinking form it off and on all day. What you are doing is fine!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Have you tried giving him a snack around 7:30? Mabey some cereal and half the amount of formula in his sippy cup? I did this with my girls and they slept threw the night.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I give my daughter a milk cup at dinner and then when she goes to bed i give her a cup of water...it works pretty good....my daughter isnt eating 'adult' food yet and she wont eat any kind of snack's yet(she is behind due to gag reflex) so i cant give her a snack b4 bed but if i could it probably would let her sleep better...sometimes she wakes up one time in the night for a sippy cup but i give her water....she normally doesnt drink all of it and goes back to sleep....but i think what your doing is fine as long as you brush his teeth...
    Anonymous

• My daughter gets water with dinner at 6 then a sippy of milk around 8 and bed time is 9. That way I know she wont be hungry during the night.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 10:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2009