Do you feel guitly when you can't afford as much as others?

I am in mommy and me group. The moms are putting their babies in Kindermusik and Gymboree and swimming and all these other things. My son is going to start Mother's Day Out in Sept, but I can afford anything else. I just feel bad I guess bc their kids get to do some much that he won't.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well I grew up with a mom who had me at 15yrs old as you may know at 15yrs old theres not much you can afford if you dont have your parents helping you and I know that I didnt go to gymboree and I turned out fine. I didnt know that I didn't get to do all that i wanted cuz my mom always made sure I had things to do at home and friends to play with. basically your child is gonna think his/her life is great if you make it seem fun for them. Gymboree is a place where moms take their kids to get exercise....Take your kid to the park, it'll be free and just as fun
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 8:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I have never felt bad about our budget not having space for "extras". Besides I consider most of those programs a waste of money since we do most of the stuff the programs do and more, but for free! Plus kids don't remember how much money you spent on them, but the time you spent bonding with them so they feel secure, loved and special.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 8:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I will never feel guilty for not being able to afford something. As long as my so has a roof over his head, enough food to eat, and he feels loved and protected, that's all he needs. Everything else is a want.
    Anonymous

• Dont feel bad. I do all kinds of things w/ my DD w/o any money at all! We go to two library groups a week, a playgroup thats free once a week, & also take advantage of any things on the weekends (just today we went to Kids Day & it was all free). I take her to the beach on really warm days costing me nothing but gas. We go to all the different playgrounds in the surrounding towns & make new friends all the time. We feed ducks & thats only a couple of bucks for a loaf of bread to do that. Picnics, swimming at the lake, petting animals at the shelter, etc. Dont feel bad simply find all the things in your area to do that are free & be creative!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:59 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I feel bad sometimes, but not about things like gymboree. I feel bad about our living conditions (Broken ceiling, sink, and leaky pipes. ugh) when I see people with a nicer house.

I always remind myself to be grateful for what I DO have. Sure I can't afford swimming lessons, but we had a fun time at the zoo today! And who needs fancy restaraunts when we can cookout at grandma's house :~)

Yes, I do get jealous sometimes. But I always stop to count my blessings, and realise that what I already have is amazing.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:13 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't feel bad at all, you do what you can when you can :) DD is only 17 months so I have not made it that far yet BUT however I am nervous about leaving her in other peoples care anyhow ;) Good luck :)
    SteelersMommy03

Answer by SteelersMommy03 at 9:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Don't feel guilty. It is more important to give your time to your child not things or lessons. Growing up we never had the money for special lessons or activities but I don't feel like I missed out on anything. There are so many things you can do with your child that is free. Maybe check out a new park a week, or see if any local malls have a play area (great for rainy days).
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I can afford those things and choose not to put my kids in them. They are a waste of money for me.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Sometimes. But most of those things you can do without a class. DD is in gymnastics because my sister pays for it. She really loves it and I can't really have her do those things at home. I love my daughter and I spend time with her.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I know how you feel, we're usually in the same boat. But I take my daughter to tons of free places like the park, and our boardwalk here has tons of free music/ballon making/air jumpers during the summer. Oh, and fireworks. You can find lots of free stuff. And, I think mother's day out will be great for your kid.

As long as you are nurturing your child's natural curiosity, I would not feel bad.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:07 PM on Jun. 6, 2009