Is a racing heart feeling a sign of high blood pressure?

This is kind of part 2 of my blood pressure question a minute ago...

My heart feels like it's going to beat out of my chest, my head hurts a little in front, I just don't feel good and I'm have a little bit of cramping in my right upper abdomen.

My blood pressure was high at my appointment this week and my doctor told me to come in if I had any symtoms.

I'm thinking about running by the fire department real quick to have them check it for me. That way they can tell me if it's for sure high before I go spend 6 hours in the hospital for nothing.

Anyway are these things signs of high blood pressure?

I wasn't having any symtoms at my appointment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• hospitals will do blood pressure checks for free without waiting to see a dr. What you are describing isn't what I had when I developed HBP. I had a headache but on top of my head like the top of my head blew off! The chest pounding (for me) was anxiety and panic attacks. Can you go lay down and relax? You may be working up your BP by worrying.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• My heart rate goes up and makes my chest pound when I get anxiety attacks. I have stress related anxiety. Usually im on meds but being pregnant I cant take them. Get a home BP tester. That way when you feel your heart pound you can check you BP this way you can keep track of it then take your notes to your DR app. if there is a prob then you can show them what is happening at home.
    threesoclose567

Answer by threesoclose567 at 8:35 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• When I was pregnant the added hormones made my heart race occasionally. It also happened during puberty, when the hormones were high then as well!
    Anonymous

• there are bp machines at a lot of pharmacies and stores you can use for free, track your bp
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• My heart has been racing lately but my BP is very low.
    lilkgfan

Answer by lilkgfan at 10:35 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• That sounds like toxemia, especially the part about the upper right pain in the abdomen. BP and toxemia often run together, so you might want to spin by the hospital anyway. It's a case of better safe than sorry.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:02 AM on Jun. 7, 2009