death of a soldier....

SO is deployed and a friend of his was KIA a few days ago. SO is taking this REALLY hard and I do understand but I do not know how to help him!!! I do not know what to say!!! I wish I could help him through this grieving process but feel like I can't! HELP!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• This is really hard. My brother saw a few of his friends killed when he was over there the last time. It was really hard for him. We told him we were there if he wanted to talk, but he doesn't like talking about his feelings with anyone. Then when he got back to the states a buddy of his who was in his unit committed suicide. This was is horrible for everyone involved. I do not support this war at all, but I will always support our men and women who risk their lives to help protect freedom. My brother is about to go over there again for 15-18 months. We are praying for the best, and at the same time preparing for the worst. I hope all goes well for your SO, and I hope he gets home soon. Good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• not much you can do. He has to work through it. Just be there for him. It's about the best you can do. My dd's bf is in Iraq and they are connected via Internet constantly so she can be supportive. He goes through a lot and needs someone to listen so he doesn't bottle it all up

Answer by admckenzie at 8:42 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• All you can say is "I'm sorry" and that's it. He'll get what he needs from his "brothers and sisters". Just tell him you love him.
    SoKamele

Answer by SoKamele at 8:51 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I would give him a big hug and say "Honey I am so sorry for your loss" and then just be there for him. If he wants to talk he will, if not don't push it. Everyone deals with the stages of death/dying in their own way, and in their own time.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2009