Has anyone every taken a cruise with a baby? My mother insists my 6 month old go on our family reunion cruise this summer because she is a part of the family, but I am worried about taking her. Does anyone have any ideas to make the trip easier?

Has anyone traveled with a young baby?

nrhmom

Asked by nrhmom at 8:49 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Travel

• I took my daughter on a 5 day cruise when she was 13 months. She had an ear infection, but other than that she loved it.
    My only concern about cruising is medical care. The on-board doctors are NOT good. It's better to call your own physician when you get in port. Many cell phones work in the caribbean, AT&T has towers on Carnival ships that don't cost extra. If you are not comfortable making medical decisions with limited help, I wouldn't take her.
    Other than that, just bring everything you would normally use at home or take on vacation. Be sure to bring lots of sunscreen ad toys. A bigger room is preferable if she is an active child b/c there are not a lot of places to let her crawl.
    It's basically like staying in a big hotel, plus you'll have family to help. Cruises are awesome, I recommend them to everyone, but if you aren't comfortable don't go until she's older. But I think you'll have a blast!
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 8:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• The on board Dr. on the Carnival Valor was AWESOME!!! I stubbed my toe the first night on the door of our State room and ripped my big toe nail almost all the way off. I applauded the way it was handled!! I broke my leg, slipped on a wet public bathroom floor on the Mariner Of the Seas ( Royal Carribea) and they were absolutly aweful about it!! I wouldn't even see the Dr. They just kept saying that If I saw him it would cost, so I made due until we docked. Thank God it was the Last night!!!
    I have seen many people with babies on a cruise, I don't think It would be much of a problem. If you want better advice check out the boards and tips on www.cruisecritic.com..
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I'd chceck to make sure young kids are allowed on the particular cruise line at which you're looking. Some won't take kids under 2.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I have teenasgers now but when they were little I only took them to Disney but
    we went on a Royal Carribean cruise at Christmas and I was so surprise on the number of babies aboard. Royal Carribean Freedom of the Sea has all the stores in a row like a small town street. with a coffee shop, pizza store, a couple of wine bars, cloth stores. People had there
    babies in the stroller just shopping and having a cup of coffee. Freedom of the Seas also has
    a children program just for small 6 months to 2 year old babies. You can try out all the lastest Fisher Price toys . Royal Carribean is great for family from the young to the old. My mom came and she was 88. When we went to the port she read a book at the coffee shop and meet people just like her. She had a great time. My daughter visited the nurses station. She had stomach bug
    The doctors and nurses that look after her where as good as any I have been to in Canada
    Anonymous