getting fired while daughter in in intensive care

I live in the state of indiana. My boss just told me that if i did not come in to work tomarrow that he will fire me. My daughter is in the ICU at rileys hospital for children and just had surgery. Shes only 4 months old. Can he legally fire me if i have brought him a doctors note stating that i could not leave my infint unattended?

mamatobe1989

Asked by mamatobe1989 at 9:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• I don't think so but not sure either. Contact your HR and look at

http://www.eeoc.gov/  and maybe your state laws too. Don't go down without a fight and I hope your baby gets well soon.

Anonymous

• fuck*d up. I dont want to work with a jerk like that anyways :)
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Is your employer large enough for you to get FMLA? If not, then he can fire you.
    Anonymous

• Go to HR, if there is an HR department. If not, get in touch with your local labor board.

It might actually be preferable for him to fire you if you're not eligible for FMLA...you can file for unemployment.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• what a prick! If you have been there for at least 12 months, then your job is protected for 6 weeks under FMLA (family medical leave act).
    Unfortunately, if you live in an "at will" state (as most are), you can be fired without being given a reason; this makes fighting a wrongful discharge that much harder.
    I can't imagine what you are going through with your daughter; she is your first priority right now and he will get his karmic payback...

Answer by rkoloms at 6:06 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

Not always- you have to have a certain number of employees to get fmla.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• unfortuntly i was not there for more than a month and we have very few employees. He gave me no hand book or any paper work for that matter to state what kind of action i could take...i do live in an at will state unfortunatly but i was hoping there would at least be some way to make him pay for the way he treated me both before and after fireing me.
    mamatobe1989

Answer by mamatobe1989 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2009