Juicy juice for babies?!?!

Please tell me that I'm missing something. My brother and his wife gives their 3 month old baby juicy juice diluted with water!! And my mom gave the baby juicy juice as well...first of all I didn't give my son juice until 6 months old and he drank Gerber juice only until he was about 2 years. Has anyone heard about giving a baby juicy juice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yep, people do it all the time. We don't serve juice in my house, it seems like empty calories to me. But a lot of people give their kids juice and they turn out just fine.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 9:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• No. Personally I don't give juice often to my 5 year old or 2 year old and my 14 month old has never had any. I'd rather they ate some fresh fruit to get the vitamins etc. they need, too much sugar and calories in juice that they don't need. I wouldn't give it to a baby that young.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 9:12 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I've seen people do it, although it's not for me ESPECIALLY that young. However if baby is constipated...fruit juice is a really great aid.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• juicy juice s 100% real fruit juice so why not- as long as its diluted....now if you had said kool aid then i would definitely say heck no but a little juicy juice is the same as gerber juice- exactly the same just different names- my doc even gave me the ok to give my son that at 2 1/2 months to get him through a constipation spell- as long as hes not getting it in excess
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• juice is ok if limited, but I wouldnt offer it to a 3 month old. I read in lots of books that 6-7 m/o is the best age to "start" but only like 3 oz diluted at first
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:23 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• sadly, people give their babies all kinds of weird crap. i'm not saying juice is 'weird crap,' just saying that many parents give things to babies that you might not give your own.

it's unfortunate that they decided to fill their baby up on juice rather then giving them what their brain(and body) need to properly grow--breastmilk or formula.
    Anonymous

• Not at 3 months but when they were around 5/6 months they started getting juice as a treat. We started with those Gerber ones because they are small and they never finished just one little container. But once the older kids were toddlers they all were drinking Juicy Juice (or whatever we found on sale that was 100% real juice), including the baby. They rarely drink it, though. It's a big treat in our house to have juice. They drink water during the day. If we have juice they get 1 small cup or juice box a day and only get milk in their cereal.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:47 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• We didn't introduce juice until 2, and we consider it to be an occasional treat.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:22 AM on Jun. 7, 2009