i need to learn to stick up for myself!

my roommate is an a hole and not only does he not do shit around the house, he doesn't buy anything, and doesn't pay his rent and utilities on time. i think he should realize me and my SO just had our first child and I'm not working and we don't have the money to take care of him too! Im too big of a p*ssy to say or do anything but I'm so tired of it! How do I say something without being mean!?

dbodani

Asked by dbodani at 9:34 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Be business-like.

This is, after all, a financial arrangement, yes?

Describe the problem (without adding your opinion about it, just the facts, ma'am) and tell him what you need him to do about it, like this:

You: We are short of money and our life has just become a lot more expensive. We need to have the money you owe for utilities and rent right on time, every single month. Now that we have a baby in the house, we need all the adults to pitch in and help with the housework. I don't want the house to be perfect, but you need to either see what needs to be done and do it every single day, or ask every single day what you can do to keep our home running smoothly. If you can afford a maid instead of helping out, that's fine, but we can't carry you financially or continue as if we were your parents.

Him: uh...

LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:44 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Just blurt it out and get it out there so there can be some changes coming.He knows your easy that's why he plays games with you so you have nothing to fear.He might question you at first and get annoyed but don't let that stop you from putting your foot down.I would confront him with your husband and have a back up plan if he doesn't cooperate.If he argues with you then have your husband step in.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 9:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• i think im just going to take a kickboxing class to get some anger out
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 10:06 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Does the guy work? Show him on paper what he owes for rent, utilities, etc. Tell him he either needs to contribute his share or find another place to live.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 11:57 PM on Jun. 6, 2009