Coffe when TTC?

so a friend told my DH that when TTC you should cut out all caffeine because it half's your chances of getting pregers. Does any one know any thing about this?

I have been trying to cut back to one or two cups a day so that when i do get that positive it will be easier to stop but is stopping before helpful in TTC?

mbaker331

Asked by mbaker331 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• IDK about TTC but I do know that more than 3OOmg per day can cause a spontaneous abortion. Its really no different than drugs,alcohol or smoking..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• 300 mg of caffeine can cause spontaneous abortions? It's amazing that women in Seattle give birth at all. That' like 3 cups of coffee a day.
    Anonymous

• 300 mg of caffiene causes spontaneous abortions?? Yeah right!! The recommended daily amount is no more than 200 mg, so you are saying that they would recommend that pregnant women get that close to the amount that causes miscarriage?? 300mg regularly consummed will likely result in low birth weight and hyper activity, but it will not cause miscarriage.

mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:02 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• your fine. yea when ttc it is best to cut out a lot of things. but if you drink a lot of coffee, one or two cups is fine. none is better.
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 1:18 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Caffeine is bad for you because it slows down blood flow to your ovaries and vaginal area. I'm assuming the reason it would prevent pregnancy is due to the fact that you are more likely to orgasm if you lighten up on caffeine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Yes, Ive heard the same thing about caffeine causing spontaneous abortions. No more than 300mg is suggested. It doesnt matter how much you are allowed when you aren't pgnt, there are lots of things you cant do that you could when you weren't pgnt. Caffeine deprives your body of water and is bad for the heart. However, its just a precaution and not everyone follows it, my mother for example, lived off caffeine with me but I came out very healthy :)
    Some people smoke and drink throughout their entire pregnancy and have healthy baby's... Guess its like the lotto. You never know.
    As for ttc, I'm not sure but anon 2:42 makes sense to me. I've heard that orgasms help when trying to conceive.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 2:48 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• you do not want to eat or drink anything while you're ttc. that you shouldn't have while you're p.g. by the time you know your p.g. the baby will already have been ingesting those chemicals. also you should already be taking prenatal vitamins if your ttc. i was told to do this because the fetus needs the best possable nutrition from day one. and they think it prevents birth defects.
    binker55

Answer by binker55 at 5:17 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Its funny how women run off at the mouth and dont know what they are talking about, yes 300mg a day can cause an abortion LOOK IT UP...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• midnightmomma check this out..

A research team from the U.S. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development conducted a study of 431 women. The researchers monitored the women and the amount of caffeine they consumed from conception to birth. After accounting for nausea, smoking, alcohol use and maternal age, the researchers found no relationship between caffeine consumption of up to 300 mg per day and adverse pregnancy outcomes, including miscarriage.

Anonymous

• Anon, you may be correct, I do believe you but it is still taught in all our textbooks to avoid it if possible because some women have problems with bringing a pregnancy to term, these are women whom do not use drugs etc...It is a precaution, it is also unproven that pot has any negative effects on the fetus, but women are still advised to leave it alone.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:39 PM on Jun. 7, 2009