Can pregnancy cause a food allergy?

OK, so I just broke out in hives and I can't figure out the source. The only thing that I can think of is that it happened shortly after eating a peanut butter sandwich. I haven't really had peanut butter in a long time or anything (that I can think of) containing peanut oil, but I have never had an allergy to peanuts my entire life. But suddenly I have hives! I didn't feel a bug bite and I can't find a bug bite anywhere on my body that could be causeing it. It's been a couple hours since my last meal which was steak and potatoes with cranberry pomigrante juice. Could my pregnancy hormones have caused an allergic reation to peanuts? Or could the baby be allergic to peanuts and my body is reacting to the baby reacting to peanuts?

I know that sounds a little scifi and I can't really find any information about pregnancy and new food allergies, but it is the only connection I can make.

ILoveMyBoos

Asked by ILoveMyBoos at 10:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I never had a problem with chocolate but when I was about 20 weeks or maybe a little less I would break out in hives/rash whenever I ate chocolate. Now I am 27 weeks and don't have a problem with it if I eat it in small doses. I never asked my OB about so I don't know if it was a reaction from pregnancy and the chocolate but I assumed it was. I'll be curious for other answers too if anyone has any ideas on that.
    jasey929

Answer by jasey929 at 10:22 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I heard somewhere that you can get food allergys when pregnat. With you and Matt having some already... yup your little one may already have some.
    MrsJenL

Answer by MrsJenL at 10:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2009