Safe sleep for baby

What is the best way to put a newborn to bed?
I read somewhere that you shouldn't have blankets in the crib

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yep. They say put them on their back with nothing in the crib-no toys, blankets, dolls, etc. I used a blanket at times, but they say you shouldn't.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• No blankets or pillows and have the baby sleep on his/her back.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• On the back, no blanktet, stuffed animals, or other plush objects. For a very small baby, my doctor advised using a rolled up blanket tied around the center to keep my daughter from rolling; or you can use a store bought wedge. Also, if you are worried about baby being cold, you can buy sleep sacks which are essentially blankets baby can wear. I loved these when dd was small.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• they say put your baby to sleep on his back but i let my son sleep however he wanted to. ten years ago they said put them on their side. and ten years before that they said put them on their belly. so who really knows? in ten more years they'll change their minds again.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 11:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• my daughter sleeps on her side, swaddled.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:26 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I tried the back thing with my daughter and she had the thing where she would throw her arms up in the air like she was falling and get scaried i can't think of what its called right off but she couldn't ever sleep on her back so i tried putting her on her belly because my mil told me to and she was fine then. I was scaried about her sleeping on her belly because i was afraid she would try to pick her head up and wouldn't be able to get it flipped over and she would smother...but like i said she was fine you'll probably find which ever way is best for the baby just let them sleep that way.
    pandora09

Answer by pandora09 at 1:22 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• For sure ALWAYS put them on their backs to sleep. Do not put any bumper pads, blankets, wedges or stuffed animals in the crib. Make sure that you tell anyone that takes care of your child to put them on their back to sleep. Sleep bags are great and if you really want to put a blanket crocheted (sp?) blanket in there with large holes so in case the put the blanket over their head they can still breathe. One of the answers here was about the arms being thrown up in the air this is called the startle reflex and this is good - actually it is lifesaving.
    I lost my son on June 17 2004, he was 4 months old. The babysitter put him on his belly to sleep, I always put him on his back. He died in the first sleep of the morning the very first time he was put on his belly.
    Another thing to make sure to do is to give them supervised tummy time when they are awake.
    If anyone has any more safe sleep questions, please ask.
    Yolanda
    jdmylittleman

Answer by jdmylittleman at 7:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I just wanted to add that I have a friend who also lost her son to SIDS while he was sleeping in a boppy pillow. She said that you should also only put them on a firm, flat surface for nighttime sleeping. Bouncer chairs, carseats, etc.. are generally fine during the day while you are awake and frequently looking in on baby. Also, I wanted to note that ALL babies sleep better on their bellies in terms of comfort and sleeping deeper. That is the point! Research indicates that SIDS is partially caused by some sort of neurological immaturity that causes some babies not to wake up when they are too close to blankets and breath in carbon dioxide, or fall into too deep a sleep. By keeping them on their backs, they do not sleep quite as well or as deep, making it more likely that they will wake up if in danger. Since the back to sleep program was started the rate of SIDS dropped tremendously.
    Anonymous