what are ways to jump start labor?

lmcswain29

Asked by lmcswain29 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• According to the show The Dr.'s the only way is to have sex, Sex & more SEX, and it's something in the semen that triggers it and it's totally safe for mom and baby! Have fun!! Hope it works for you! My SO wouldn't do it b/c he thought it was too weird with the baby being full term, needless to say we were a week overdue and had to have a c-section, if there's a next time maybe he'll try it! haha
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 10:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• i've heard walking is supposed to hurry it up. but i walked and walked my a** off and still was way late.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• There are lots of natural ways to jump start labor but none of them will work unless your body is ready. It doesn't surprise me in the slightist the "The Dr.'s" said there is only one way. Most doctors are not education in natural labor inducers nor are they educated in natural normal labor.

Here are some of the more effective ones you can try:

-Raspberry Leaf Tea- Tones the uterus by causing small contractions. For some women this can be the push they need to go into labor and it's VERY good for your uterus. It's actually been shown to reduce labor time, pain and postpartum bleeding.

-Exercise-Exercises that use gravity such as walking, hula dancing, belly dancing, etc. can help apply pressure to the cervix, the baby to "drop" and get things going.
    Anonymous

• -Cumin Tea- 1 cumin seed in 1 cup of boiling water, left to steep for 5 minutes. 1 CUP PER HOUR PER DAY. Place a cube of raw potato in the cup to soak up bitterness and add honey or sugar to sweeten. This is used by midwives in Latino communities for women who are at risk for medical induction or for those who are determined to be at a higher risk if they carry past a certain date such as women with gestational diabetes but is effective for many, many women.

Nipple Stimulation- Breast Pump or hand nipple stimulatio for 2 minutes, rest for 3, NS for 2 more minutes and then take a 20 minute break and walk or have sex. If it doesn't bring on contractions you can up it to 3 minutes pumping, 2 minutes rest between, and then 3 more minutes NS but then take another 20 minute break to walk or have sex. Nipple stimulation releases Oxytocin (the hormone Pitocin trys to mimic) which causes contractions of the uterus.
    Anonymous

• -Bumpy Car Ride- This may sound like an old wives tale but if your baby isn't in a good position for labor (such as facing forward instead of facing down toward your back) this can help him get into a good position and apply pressure to the cervix. A friend of mine actually did this a few weeks ago and was contracting by the time they got home.

-Acupressure- You can find the points on line that stimulate labor.
    Anonymous

• Sex- there are prostaglandins in human sperm that help to ripen the cervix. Interestingly these are the SAME prostaglandins that are in Cervidil which is derived from pig sperm and used in inductions in the hospital. Also orgasm can stimulate contractions. Lay in bed for 30 minutes after having intercourse for the sperm to set on your cervix. Also orgasm releases Oxytocin which causes the uterus to contract. The midwife I spoke to says she suggest this in combination with nipple stimulation.

I also want to point out that the first poster is somewhat incorrect about the job of the the prostaglandins in the sperm. They do NOT "trigger" labor. Like I said above they "ripen" the cervix by softening it & helping it to efface. You cervix needs to be ripe in order to go into labor so when the prostaglandins ripen the cervix it allows labor to start. It's more effective when female orgasm is also achieved to stimulate contractions
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• THINGS THAT SHOULD NOT BE USED ARE:

-Blue or Black Cohosh because they have been related to infant heart attack and severe bleeding during delivery

- Castor Oil because it can severely dehydrate the mother and cause the baby to release meconium which can cause very serious complications during delivery including death to your baby if it is not handled quickly enough and effectively.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• in my experience, nothing has worked and i've tried a lot of natural ways to induce. i will be 41 weeks tomorrow and still waiting!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:30 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• To add to what the Anon posted, my OB had me take Evening Primrose Oil caplets. I can't remember exactly what it was supposed to due (this was nearly 2 years ago), but between the Primrose and the raspberry tea my daughter was born just over 24 hours later.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 1:33 AM on Jun. 7, 2009