How do I discipline my 2 year old with other kids in the home that do not follow the same rules?

My sister, her husband & I all live in the same home with my parents. She has two kids a 2 year old girl & a 1 year old son & I have a 2 year old son. Here is the problem she practically lets her kids do whatever they want & I have rules for my son. There are things that I think he ( & her kids) shouldn't be allowed to do but its hard to enforce them when her kids are doing the same thing & no one says anything to them. I don't want to be bossy but I don't know what to do, do I tell her that she needs to discipline her kids or just let mine go? I think there should be boundaries with the children & I'm not sure that her or her husband feel the same way. Also it seems that our parents "baby" her kids more than mine. They get onto my child more than hers, they cuddle with her children more than mine & I feel bad for him because I know he is only 2 but he notices. I just don't know what to do can someone help me?

coledon

Asked by coledon at 10:41 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would sit down with them (your parents, your sister and her husband) and tell them all there needs to be rules in the house for ALL the kids and you all need to enforce them, of course you all have to decide on what the rules are.  If anyone argues with you just tell them these are my rules and I plan to enforce them with ALL the kids unless I get input/suggestions for rules and help with enforcement.  It's easier to live together when everyone knows the rules and everyone enforces them.

Anonymous

• I agree, talk to them about how you're finding it difficult to discipline your child when the other 2 aren't being made to follow the rules. Try to be nonjudgemental about it and make it a focus on the kids and their well-being.

Also, what kind of rules are you talking about? Maybe that can help us give you some advice.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:05 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Well I know that children especially 2 year olds do things that they shouldn't to test boundaries but I don't allow my son to climb on the kitchen table, swing from curtains, curse, chase other kids with butter knives, drag the cat around by the neck, play in the toilet, etc... but they don't seem to care what their kids do. I try to discipline her children along with mine when they are doing something but she just gives me dirty looks and takes her children into the other room. I am not in any way saying that my son is perfect & never does things that he shouldn't do because he does. Its just that before living with my sister LC listened to me so much better, but of course he wasn't seeing other children do the same things as him & not get the same punishment. I just don't know what to do because she & her husband don't seem to care what they do or what anyone says.
    coledon

Answer by coledon at 7:41 PM on Jun. 7, 2009