My 1 year old is already throwing fits!......Help!

My daughter is throwing fits already, when she gets ahold of something she shouldn't have and gets it taken away, or even when her sippy cup is empty and we grab it to fill it up she gets mad. I understand that you have to be stern and consistant, but I wasn't expecting this already and how can I get her to stop?

B-rit_32506

Asked by B-rit_32506 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Unfortunately, I don't think you can get kids this age to stop. It is part of their growing up process: push boundaries, establish independence, etc... Some kids start the "terrible twos" early and/or end them late. The best thing to do is to say a firm "no" and then ignore the behavior unless she is going to hurt someone, break something that is valuable to you, or hurt someone else. If she is merely screaming on the ground; let her. Or you can pick her up, sit her somewhere isolated from others and tell her "this is the screaming area. You can scream here, but nowhere else". Then leave. She may not understand now...but nothing is going to work at this age. It's just about establishing rules for when she does understand and asserting your authority. I also heard that at this young age you can say "Sit in this chair until I say get up!" then immediately say to get up since they already will be. It tricks them into you...
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• being fully in control and them getting up is your idea. Dunno if it works...but just try and keep your sanity! I'm going through the same thing and some days I just want to scream...but it's a fun age, so try to enjoy the cute, ignore the bad, and remember that she won't be this age for long.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• my son is 13 m/o and does the same exact things, but it also depends on how thirsty he is, if he's cranky from being a little tired, or he is fully concentrated on the No No item and it's taken away all of a sudden LOL. when my son throws tantrums I just say "sorry my dear!" and try and distract him with something else or if it's a sippy cup issue I tell him what i'm doing (filling it with water, milk..etc) then give it back. I try not to reason with him since he doesnt understand but explaining in simple terms (you're mad because mama took away that pen) and going down to his level seems to help a little. if he has a major tantrum I just ignore it. it's just a baby's way of expressing confused emotion and you just need to be calm and patient!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Don't give in! Our DD did that very early, and we walked on eggshells trying not to let her "get frustrated" (my DH's idea). Pretty soon she was running the house. She is almost 5 now, and we are using Love & Logic. I wish we'd known about it back then. You can decide whether it is better to ignore the behavior or use time outs, depending on how serious it is. Like someone already said, you can't completely stop it. You do have to let your child know who is in charge, though.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:19 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Well at this age there's not much you can do to stop it besides redirection. One thing that works really well with my daughter(she also just turned one) is lots and LOTS of praise when she does something good. She gets so exited and proud, I can tell she's exited to do things right because of the praise she gets. You can praise over the smallest things, like taking a bite of her dinner rather than throwing it on the floor, or leaving a room when I say "lets go!". When she throws fits over silly things, I usually just ignore the behavior, not her, until she's done. I'll just continue to talk to her and treat her as if she werent throwing a fit, it gets no attention. When she hits or acts mean, I simply give her a firm "no, no" and a stern face, and redirect her. At this age there's not much else you can do. Time-outs or spankings wont make any sense to them and will do nothing to change the behavio
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:50 AM on Jun. 7, 2009