Breastfeeding....

In almost a day my breasts went from normal size to filled to capacity. My left breast is so engorged that my baby wont even try to stay latched on. I dont own any breast pumps, and am having some trouble manually expressing it. Any and all advice would be soo greatly appreciated as to how I could get all this milk out of my breasts, Im scared they are going to explode hahah.

lynmarie813

Asked by lynmarie813 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have heard (and at one point or another done this) You get your baby to suckle and when the milk starts flowing and they quit nursing just let it flow into a towel or sink until it stops. Then try nursing again. Its hard for some babies to latch when there is so much milk coming out. It worked very well with me. I hope it helps you. =)
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• They won't explode. Massage toward your nipple. That will help you to express a little so your LO can latch on more easily.
    Juniper53098

Answer by Juniper53098 at 10:51 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Warm compresses might help or a hot shower will help release some of that pressure too. Your body will adjust pretty quickly to your babies needs and it shouldn't be an issue for long, so take some comfort in that!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 10:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• LOL. They won't explode but it sure does feel like it. With my first, i didn't have a pump either. i had to get in the shower and massage the crap out of them. The warm water will stimulate them some so you can get some milk out. With my 2nd, I rented a pump from the hospital. They are like 30 a month, and any parts that attach to your body and breastmilk will go thru, they give you new pieces, and you keep those parts. I'm not sure how all hospitals are about renting them, but if you have the money, it makes things so much easier. Also, you could call your lactation consultant at the hospital as well, they always have great ideas.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• expressing in a warm shower or using warm compresses(like a heating pad on the low setting) just before nursing will help relieve some of the pressure. you don't want to express too much milk otherwise your body will keep up that same level of production. just express enough so that you are a little more comfortable and of course try to encourage your baby to nurse to help relieve the pain.
    Anonymous

• i got engorged myself and my pump would not work i know how u feel i used to sit on the couch with a bottle and hand pump it out it takes forever but it feels so good once its out lol it will also help (if u dont really care about the milk) to take a bath and the warm water will help it came out sit in the bath and squize as much as u can out but i would go get a pump asap cause if the baby wont feed its going to keep getting like this if u have wic u can get a pump for free its not electric but it gets the job done lol i hope something i sad helps cause i know that hurts
    sariahsmommy1

Answer by sariahsmommy1 at 11:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2009