How could I have hurt my knee while I was sleeping?!

This is driving me crazy! The night before last I slept just fine and I woke up with a really sore knee that was swollen! There's no sign of a bug bite or anything. Then this morning I woke upp and it's even more sore and still swollen! What could I have possibly done to it while I was sleeping?!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Health

• I don't know, but I woke up and the back of my knee hurt, like I pulled a muscle back there or something! Maybe we're just getting old and our young bodies refuse to move along! :)
    Anonymous

• lol! Gosh, I'm 20. If I hurt myself in my sleep now, can you imagine when I'm 50 or 60? Geez. I'm in bigggg trouble! haha.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Does it go away as the day goes on? Watch for signs of this starting to happen in both knees. Waking up with joint pain can be a sign of rheumatoid arthritis. It usually is symmetrical, meaning if one knee hurts the other will also. RA can also cause joint swelling. Usually with RA as the day goes on and you use the joint more the soreness will lessen, but will be worse again in the AM. If it begins to happen on both sides you may want to see your dr. I just had to be checked for this due to multiple joint pain in both hips, and hands especially in the mornings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• No. It's usually not too sore in the mornings. But, as the days go on and I'm on my feet all day chasing after a toddler it gets really painful. But, I can't just take the day off and stay off of it b/c I have an 18 month old that needs constant supervision and his dad works all the time.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:35 AM on Jun. 7, 2009