• In the Spotlight:

What is your opinion on people/families who are using food stamps?

I am simply curious to know what others think of people who are using government assistance when it comes to putting food on the table; do you think these people need the help in a time of need, or do you think they are simply lazy and don't deserve the help? There are many negative opinions out there on this subject. What are yours?

theitalian3721

Asked by theitalian3721 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• In general? I think the program is there to help people who NEED help.

THere may be some people who abuse the system, and I do want to see the abusers stopped.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I think we should all take whatever the government is willing to give us. There is money put aside every single year solely for food stamps. If people who qualify for it can receive free food why should they not?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:35 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• As with all types of government assistance, I think there are those on it who truly need the help. However as with everything else, there are those who abuse the system and use it as an excuse for them to be lazy. I have nothing against those who have fallen on hard times and need help to get back on their feet. We all have been there at one time or another, and if I was ever in a situation where I couldn't feed my family, of course I would use any kind of assistance available to me. As long as people don't plan on using it for the rest of their lives, and are really trying to get their lives back on track and trying to stand on their own 2 feet again, I have no problem with it. Its those who use assistance as a way to not have to work and spend their assistance on frivilous things while the cupboards are bare, that bothers me.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:35 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I think if you truly need it, then use it, until you get back on your feet. No one NEEDS to be on food stamps for 5, 10, && 20 years.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I say we stop talking about this subject every damn day. How's that???
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:46 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• well the majority of people really do need it... and as long as they are always trying to better themselves and get off... i see nothing wrong with them getting help... everyone needs help at some point for something... i just can't stand the ppl who abuse it and take it from the ones that really need it...

Fallaya.... if you don't like the question hit that little back arrow button....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I think if you are an actual American citizen you should have every right to getting assistance when you need it. I live in the Southwest close to the border and it truly bugs the hell out of me when I see an illegal family with false identification getting all kinds of assistance and on the other side I see American citizens get turned down. I've also seen families where they get government housing and food, and anything else they can take and they turn around use the money they make from their jobs to pay for their drugs!! I sometimes wish you had to go through a random drug screening just to get your assistance. It would help eliminate the people that are obviously using their own personal money for something that is a waste and could be putting it towards food or housing.I also agree that people shouldn't bee on assistance for any extended period of time.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I don't have anything against it. If you need it, use it. That's what it's there for. If you're abusing it, that's another story. I then don't agree with using them.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:16 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• When my hubby and I first moved into our apartment in '06 we had to have them. He only made $250 a week. We only had our DD then. But when he got a better job we canceled them. Then in Sep. '08 he lost his job so we had to have them again. But in Feb. of this year he found a new job and so we canceled them again. It's nice to know that even though we didn't know how we would pay our bills, at least we could feed our kids. I think they're good for those who need them. But I think it's awful when people get them just so they can sell them or trade them. I know people who do that and that's bad. They don't use them for food.
    Princess02266

Answer by Princess02266 at 1:53 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I'm pretty much with the majority on this one. If you need them use them if you abuse them get off them.  I am on them right now because DH is in school and his hour got cut back.  But I plan to get a second job in the fall when the kiddos start school so I can get off them.  I HATE being on them people tend to look down on you for having them.  And anon 1213 I agree they should do random drug screenings. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:22 AM on Jun. 7, 2009