Why would a recently filled tooth start hurting?

I had a filling on a back molar about a month ago. It was a multi-surface filling, and for the first week or so it mostly felt weird, with a little sensitivity to cold. That sensitivity became more intense and in the past two weeks, I've started feeling pain when biting down. Now I can even feel it when I use a fingernail to press slightly on the filled area.

Could part of the filling have fallen out already? I don't *see* anything missing. Or could the tooth have cracked? The dentist did drill a bit, and I really wasn't comfortable with some of the things he said during the process...the assistant pointed out that he'd missed an area.

I have a return appointment on Monday, but was hoping some dental experts here might have some thoughts.

Asked by gdiamante at 11:44 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Health

• I used to be a Dental Hygienist. You may be referring to the sensitivity that commonly happens because you have replaced the tooth with metal which is more conductive to temperature than organic tooth. Make sense? It should fade away. If it doesn't then you should ask the doctor. Something we recommended was to use egg yolk (soft boiled egg) directly on the tooth and leave sit for a bit. The sulphur in the yolk will help. No joke!

Of course, it if HURTS, then you may be way too close to the nerve and need a root canal. If you're just feeling a twinge, just try the yolk. Non invasive, can't hurt!
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 12:04 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• It was a resin filling, though. I will try the soft boiled egg yolk...it might help!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:35 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I guess I forgot to ask that part huh? I wonder if it was too close to the nerve then. I am sorry. Maybe the doc missed a bit of the decay. Or it could be getting close to the root. I am sorry sorry, tooth pain hurts huh? :(
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 1:59 PM on Jun. 7, 2009