Why can't parent's just let the kids play?????

My kids are on a surf soccer team and today they played a friends team who is playing his first year. The age range is 2.5-4 by May 1. My 3 yo and 4 yo fall into this age range. My friends son is older than my 3 yo, he'll be 4 soon. Well today I got into a bit of an argument with her husband. He has a issue with his son being smaller than the kids (he indicated my son) and that my kids shouldn't be allowed to play because of his size (probably has nothing to do with my son being an excellent player, 5 goals today and he was in net half the game! Go little man!!!) My son started before he was 3 and took his little lumps. He kept at it though and now is doing way better.
Should this man who registered his son and checked the box that states the ages of kids playing and that they will actually be playing soccer with other kids, have the right or even the reason to put in a complaint about kids who are bigger than his?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Absolutely not, it's part of life. People are all different sizes and have different strengths when they play sports. I think that by having a poor attitude like that he is only teaching his son to be a poor sport and expect preferential treatment. Children should be taught from the beginning that sports are for fun and everyone is entitled to play.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 12:02 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• No he shouldnt complain, he knew what he was in for, he read the form and signed off on it.
    He's probably upset his kid wasnt a superstar athelete right off the bat. It takes time, patience and practice to get really good. bah men! LOL
    summerm

Answer by summerm at 12:03 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• he needs to get over himself, did he actually expect all the kids to be the same size?
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:14 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• That's ridiculous. My son is 7 and plays sports through our park. His favorite his floor hockey which is for ages 7-11. My son had just turned 7 when they started for the year (actually he was still 6 the first day and the next week he turned 7). He was one of the smallest kids. I would have never thought to complain. Instead when he wasn't doing well I reminded him that those other kids are bigger, stronger, faster and have been playing longer then him. That's life and he has to deal with it. Luckily most of the bigger kids are really nice and help the younger kids out.

The same thing happened last year with track and field. He was only 6 but the 6-9yo class was canceled (there were only 3 in the class) so he moved up to the 10-12yo class. He was the slowest kid but I reminded him that the other kids were physically bigger so they would be faster. He still had a great time mostly because the other kids were nice.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:01 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My girls were on a 4&5 y/o co-ed soccer team they were the only girls and they were the tallest on their team. Every child grows at their own rate. I think he didn't want to get flack about his boy being small and not being "the best". So yeah sit down, shut up and just let the kids play.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:35 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Nope. Ive encountered this many times since my kids all play team sports. You sign the child up and you suck up whatever scenario comes with it. You might remember my question about a verbally abusive coach a few weeks back. Well, we sucked it up decided that he wasnt running us off and we fnished the season. He even gave her the last game ball because she didnt complain about how many times he moved her around. (he was trying to make us mad). We come up against some girls who are 10 yrs old and are every bit of 5'4 and weigh 130lbs or more. My dd is 11 and shes the tallest on her team at 4'10 and 95 lbs. Those girls were smacking that ball out to the fence and we have to run and get it. Its just how it is. There comes a day when every child gets their due but sometimes, they gotta be the little guy first. I think hes insecure and just needs to suck it up like every other parent. I hate parents who scream "is not fair".
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:35 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My son is very small for his age, so even if he played with only kids his same age, he would still be the smallest on the team, probably smallest on the field. Who cares? It's a game, let the kids go out and have fun! The only way your child will get better at something is to be challenged. A good way to challenge them is to put them up against kids who are better than they are.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:52 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I would not have a problem with my child playing a sport with children who were smaller or larger than they were. If I did, I would look at a different team or sport. It depends on how big is big. If the children were the appropriate age to play - that is just life. If the children were really older and should be in another age group that would be different. Also if I was worried that my child might not have the same skill level b/c my child did not have the same background I may look into a team/league that concentrates on kids who are new to the sport and are just playing to learn and have fun. Some teams are more competitive than others. It just depends on what you are looking for. It takes some time and research to find what is best for your child and it is not always a one size fits all. Neither is all sports good for all children. You have to decide what sport is the right fit and when.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:10 AM on Jun. 7, 2009