best way to check a diaper

what's the best way to check for a wet and messy diaper? i ask this because my girlfriend's son is staying by my house for the upcoming week (he's 2, still in diapers) while she is with her father in Florida. I don't want to do anything that would seem..inappropriate. I check my son with the finger up the cuff, but that involves my hand in his diaper. He is my son so it's alright but i don't know the riles are about other people's children. What do you think is okay to do? Also, which way is most effective and easiest?

MissLisa7657

Asked by MissLisa7657 at 11:49 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i usually just open up the thigh part and look in.. i never stick my finger in there i just look to see if there is poop and i feel the front to see if its squishy for pee.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• i do the exact same thing momnbabygirl does. but since hes a little older, he may be able to tell you when hes wet or he's pooped. and to check for poop on older ones you want to also check the back of the diaper, pull the top of his pants at the back out and pull the diaper out in the same place (where it meets the lower back) for my daughter when she was that age and running around it didn't really stay near the thigh sometimes it would migrate more towards the back so i had to check both spots. but really if he is staying with you for awhile, his mom trusts you and knows you aren't going to do anything inappropriate, so just do what you are comfortable with.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:59 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• They trust you. They're leaving their kid with you. Treat him the way you treat your own child.

That being said, I use the sniff test. I've unfortunately used the finger-test a few times too often. Yuck. lol
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:06 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• if he's wearing a tee shirt and pants, just take a peek in the top of the back of his diaper-if he has peed or pooped, you will be able to see/smell it. I have my son lean over my knee to let me check. It's very non-intrusive, but you still get to make sure he is clean.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 12:12 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Well, I mean you're gonna have to touch him to wipe him anyway, so I don't see that checking a wet diaper in any way would be innapropriate.

For a disposable diaper, if you feel the diaper between his legs (or depending on how full it is .. in the back/front) you'll be able to feel the gell stuff that's expanded.

I used cloth diapers and I just do the finger test or pull the back and look in, lol.

I'm sure you'll be fine!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:25 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• For a two year old I would simply have him lean forward a little and look down the back of the diaper for poopy, and just feel the front for fullness for a wet diaper.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:36 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Ewww! I'd never be brave enough to blindly stick my finger in there. Plus you can smell my kid a mile away.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 2:25 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Smell it! Or open the back and look in. But the smell test rarely fails me. Sometimes I can't see DDs poop but I can definitely smell it!

I will not stick my finger in a diaper anymore. I've gotten poop on my finger . . . . blegh.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:13 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• as a 2 yrs old u should be able to just look at it and see if its saggy. my nephew is 4 and he still in pull ups...befor any one makes comment on that is has celerpalsy and was molested when he was a baby. we change him when he looks saggy or with the baby i look after i just pinch the front of the diaper and if its smooshie then i change him if i cant smell him first.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 1:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Firstly im sure she trusts you so dont be worrying and obviously you have to change his diaper apart from just checking it which will involve touching his diaper area anyway..

I check my baby's diaper 2 ways. If wearing onesie, i lay him on his back, pull down pants and lift up one leg and then look into diaper by pulling on the legcuff (normally 2-3 inches is sufficent to see in) then i just feel crotch area of diaper for fullness to see if he's wet.
    I do same with my 3 yr old too when he wears diapers in bed.
    If baby not wearing onesie i stand him infront of me and pull out the back of the diaper and look down for poop but sometimes its difficult to see in and i still end up checking at the legcuff!! then i pull out front of diaper and look down to see if he is wet..
    best method is going by legcuff though.
    hope this helps :)
    xRyanx

Answer by xRyanx at 5:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2010