My SO's little sister, BRAT SISTER

My SO is so all about his family, he has 5 bros and sisters, and his mom had died when he was young, 11yrs old, and so since his baby sister reminds him of his mom he tends to not be able to say no to her and she totally takes advantage of it.

we're a young couple, barely any extra money, surviving, baby on the way, students at college, and she knows we're not doing well. yet she persists on asking for guess what, an i-pod and digital camera, not to mention we just spent some of our last dollars for a present . he doesnt want to say no but he knows its not gonna happen cuz theres no money.

none of the other siblings does this but her, not even my baby sister. What should I do. He already knows that buying luxury items for anyone but the baby is not gonna happen but I think he should be more firm so she wont even ask any more.

What should I do about this selfish teenager ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would ask him to sit down and talk to her. Explain the situation. Tell him if he won't you will. Be nice about it, but she needs to know this is rediculous! I would also tell him he is setting her up for a big shock when she hits the real world. Life is not like that. Unless you are Paris Hilton your average teen really dosen't get things handed to her just because she stomps her little heels.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:52 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Just don't buy it. Tell him to save his money for his child on the way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• He just needs to say no. I never asked but I heard when I turned 16 that he wanted to buy me a used car. His wife told him no way, they like you had a baby on the way and other things to spend their money on that was way more important than a car for me. Again, I didn't ask for it, it was just my brother wanting to do this.
    You said he know that buying luxury items for anyone but the baby is not going to happen. So if he doesn't give firm answers but it never happens I would think that she would get the picture eventually.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Yell at her yourself. Just say "listen you selfish bitch, get a fucking job and piss off."
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 7:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Dont do as the PP suggested. How immature. No wonder everyone on here gives young moms a bad rap. ANyway, It sounds like shes as you said, very entitled. You said his parents died. WHo is her primary caretaker? Is she over 18? Just curious. Obviously if there is no money, then its not gonna happen anyway, but he needs to sit down with her, explain how much he loves her, but he cannot provide these things for her. If shes of age, tell him to let her know that yall will help her find a job and show her how to save money for the things she wants. Just because you cant give her crap that she doesnt need does not mean that you dont love her or want her to be a part of your life. You just want her to stop using you. Family is important and she needs to learn how to build relationship with her brother rather than be so selfish. Sounds like shes trying to fill a void. Anyway, dont give in to her, even if you do come across the money.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:30 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Have her take a Red Cross babysitting class and earn her own money. My daughter (13) has bought herself many things that her parents would not: ipod, fancy cell phone, digital camera, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:35 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• she's only 13
    Anonymous