I wake up every night and I am on my back is that bad?

When I go to bed I fall asleep on my side but I will wake up in the middle of the night and I will be on my back. Everyone has told me to sleep on my sides and never on my back it can hurt the baby. Why does it hurt the baby though?
Is it bad that I sleep on my back?

jo_jo453

Asked by jo_jo453 at 12:55 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They say it pinches nerves or blood vessels and such that carry needed things to the baby. I also sleep on my back at times. My doctor told me that body would know if something was wrong and I would turn over in my sleep or wake up. Nothing to worry about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• i end up on my back most nights too i dont really feel that it would hurt the baby i think it's mostly because the weight of the baby makes it harder for us to breath i wasnt really aware it hurt the baby my chiropractor told me to sleep on my back so i really dont think it hurts the baby but it's another thing that cant hurt to ask your doctor about i'll ask mine too lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• it pinches the main blood vessel that carries blood to your heart and so it lowers your blood pressure. So my doc just told me to turn back over on my side if I rollon my back in my sleep. I also heard that some women put a pillow behind them so if the do roll on their back their tilited so theres not asmuch pressure on the nerve
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:41 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• How far along are you? It isn't really a concern until you have the weight of the baby on top to pinch off the blood vessel the PP mentioned, and when you get to the end it is hard to breath if you are on your back. It won't hurt the baby though. You can pretty much sleep however you are comfortable, and by the time you are at the point where it would be dangerous to you to sleep on your back, being on your back is no longer comfortable so no harm no foul.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 1:47 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• i do the same thing .... I cant help it im going to ask my doctor the next time I go
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 1:48 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I asked my doctor and she said when you wake up roll over but my husband was actually waking me to make me move which she said is unnecessary. She said most of us don't find being completely on our back comfortable anyway, it's usually just mostly on your back.
    DeputyWifeJen

Answer by DeputyWifeJen at 8:56 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• use a pillow behind ur back, yeah theres a blood vessel or something that carries the blood from ur lower body to ur heart and also the weight of the baby can put weight on ur organs and the vein.
    Anonymous