Finding God and faith

I was brought up Catholic. I have become estranged feom the church in my adult years. I have never stopped beleiving in God, and have always kept him in my heart. I have done things that are considered sins in the Catholic church and bc of my upbringing think tha tI am not worthy of God's love. I want to feel that closeness that I have felt before I want to have my kids feel that closeness too. I want to be at peace with myself and be able to love God without being ashamed of myself..How can I do this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am an atheist.....but I was raised Catholic. I believe it's a religion of guilt. You have to feel guilty when you're taught that you are born into a state of sin. I believe, whether you believe in God or not, you shouldn't have to feel guilty for the way your mind and body works. All of the "sins" are human nature. Why would a good loving God create someone who can't help but disappoint him? Even though I believe this wholeheartedly, it's hard to let go of the lingering guilt that you're raised with.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 2:25 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Yes, Jesus loves you!!! Try and believe it! Message me?
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:32 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Pray, have others to pray for you, confess your sins to God and forsake them, study His Word. Draw near to God and He will near to you.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:11 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Even though you sinned God loves you and has NEVER stopped loving you. We ALL sin, all of us here are sinners. No one is more rightouse then the other, we are all as dirty as the next. If you want to feel that closeness with God there is nothing stopping you. Get down on your kness or stand where you are and pray with all your heart. I am not saying it will be like a genie and BAM done but it's a start. Study the bible and maybe try dedicating the first 30 minutes of your day to God. Just wake up and grab a cup of coffee *or whatever* and go outside and watch t he sunrise or just have some quiet time with God anywhere. He loves you and will NEVER leaveyou this is a promise from him. God doesn't lie. Ask for forgiveness and stop what ever it is that you're doing. No it's not gonna be easy or overnight but make a seriouse effort. God said go and sin no more. If you stumble just get back up. God is there for you. He loves you!
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:27 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Feel free to message me anytime about anything. I will pray for you, it makes me sad that you think God can't love you because of what you have done. Whatever you need to say I will listen and not condemn :) God Bless you and I hope you find peace
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:28 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I, too was raised catholic but have become a born again Christian b/c while catholic I always felt I wasn't good enough for God. I wan't a priest or nun so how could God care about me? but I found out thru Bible study & worship in a Protestant church(Calvary Assembly of God in Ridgecrest, CA) the truth. Ther is NOTHING in the Bible that says you need to go to a church, go into a glorified broom closet, talk thru a screen to a man who hasn't lived a life outside of the church your sins and ask HIM to forgive your sins. I sin, me & my Father in Heaven have a chat. I usually end up crying b/c i have hurt Him, but He just hugs me & tells me He loves me & lets get back on track!!
    You don't hve to hav a formal prayer to talk to Him, He loves you, jesus died on the cross to pay the price for our sins, TALK to your Father, He's waiting for you. he knows already what you've done so what are you waiting for. I will keep you in prayer
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 4:39 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• When we accept Christ, God accepts us because of what Christ did not because of what we do. He loves you. When your children sin do you still love them? God loves his children no matter what. Our relationship with him is strained (not severed) when we allow something (even guilt) to come between us & God. You can not change the past but you can ask for God's guidance into the future.
    missamerica1

Answer by missamerica1 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I agree with missamerica1. Youve believed a lie about you that isnt true. A lot of times, the best way to counteract those internal lies are with knowing God through what his Word says about him. No where in the Bible does it say youre not worthy of Gods love. It actually says "If we, being evil, can give good gifts to our children, then how much more will our Father in Heaven give to those who ask him." I think thats in Ephesians. I can find exact ref. if you like. Anyway, sin does separate us from God but you need to find out if your being held under condemnation from your previous religion or yourself. God doesnt condemn us for sinning. He convicts. You said these sins were believed to be by the Catholic faith. Well, maybe you need to just ask God if this is sin between you and him. I believe there are things that are absoutely sin. No question. Then I think as individuals, God expects things of each person based on where..
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:22 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• you are at with him. Meaning as I grow, God expects more of me and I dont get to act like a person who doesnt know better anymore. Kinda like we are supposed to behave better than our kids, but many of us dont. So if you review these "sins" and you really think that you have dishonored God, then just say, God, I m so sorry. I dont want to grieve your heart, please forgive me. Then know an trust in your heart that its done. Theres no condemnation and then you have to forgive yourself. Let yourself off the hook. Gods not holding these things over your head. You are. God never rejects us and never stops loving us. Just like a parent, but more. You deserve to be free and forgiven just like everyone else. Believe the Truth about yourself, which is youre his child and he wants closeness with you more than you want it with him. Its true. Believe the Truth. Good luck to you.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:26 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I am Catholic and know that God always loves and forgives me. I feel comfort knowing his arms are always there when I am ready to reach out to him. If you want, talk to your local priest or go to a Saturday confession. Start out with, "I have not been to church in so and so years. I just do not feel God loves me because of the things I have. done. I went to confession and told the priest I was having premarital sex and he did not dunk me holy water or demand I get on my knees and profess my horrible sins. He said talk to God :-) that was my penance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Jun. 7, 2009