Does anyone have a staffordshire bull terrier?

I am gettin one next week. I'm excited! Does anyone have one? Any stories? Good dogs?

Allie428

Asked by Allie428 at 2:06 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Pets

• so a pit bull??? yeah I have two but theit mixed with doberman

My family is certified breeders of them so i grew up with them

their great but beware of insults u'll get, they have a bad rep so just make sure they're well trained that usually eases ppls minds
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 2:13 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• They are great dogs, but as they get older you will need to be sturdy with training on a leash. They also are chewers so make sure you have plenty of raw-hides and chew toys available for your new pup. If you are getting a male, try and get him neutered asap or else he will mark his territory all over your home(this with any dog). Rough play should not be too "rough". I would suggest buying a book on the breed to learn more about the staff's personality... Good luck :)
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 2:15 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I say if ur gonna get one from experience have it neutured or spayed immediately cus they will get so freakin huge. Their like the body builders of the dog species...LOL

But like I said train them early...just know that no one is gonna say hey look at that stafforshire bull terrior there gonna say wtf a pit bull...LOL depending on ur company

But they have great hearts and are very protective but be sure to socialize them and take it to dog parks so its extra friendly
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 2:18 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• To the above poster: I agree on spaying and neutering but it is not done to restrict growth. Genetics determine size not sex hormones. There are positives and negatives to early spay/neuter. Early and proper socialization is key to your pup being a well behaved adult dog. I suggest enrolling in a puppy kindergarten class. Make sure to expose your new pup to everything, especially children. Teach him early on to sit when someone approaches to pet him and make him stay in a sit. No jumping..ever. Also make sure that he knows that everything in the home is yours, not his. You should be able to reach into his food bowl or take his toy anytime and unannounced. Good luck.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 6:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Here is the size for the Staffordshire Terrier. He is not a HUGE breed. He is compact and powerful.
    Size, Proportion, Substance
    Height at shoulder: 14 to 16 inches. Weight: Dogs, 28 to 38 pounds; bitches, 24 to 34 pounds, these heights being related to weights. Non-conformity with these limits is a fault. In proportion, the length of back, from withers to tail set, is equal to the distance from withers to ground.
    equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 6:57 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• first replier, they are NOT the same as a pitt bull.

i agree with the second reply.
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 7:45 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I have Pit Bulls, always have had them and they are AMAZING dogs... My best friend has Staffies, 3 to be exact! They are considerably smaller than American Pitts, however they are very similar in their personalities.

In my experience males are much easier to train than females(I have had one male and 3 females)!
    I WOULD NOT give the dogs raw hides(they give my dogs the runs) I would get a KONG... Give it to her immediately and always give it to her once she starts to chew on something she isn't supposed to... Also, I would ABSOLUTELY crate train! Start leash traing immediately and definately buy a training book... "The Art of Raising a Puppy" is a good one.

Good Luck... Remember terriers are very head strong dogs and have A LOT of energy... They are also incrediably loyal and GREAT with children!
    koharra

Answer by koharra at 8:40 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My brother has one, great dog. She's really good with kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I have one, got her from a friend that was moving and could not take her with her. WONDERFUL dog. But like the others have said, they do like to chew. They have powerful jaws and love tug of war but be careful cause it can hurt their jaws. I use rawhids and she loves them and will chew and chew on one all day if she could. She is terrific with my 3 month old and will stand guard at the bedroom door when I have her on the floor playing with her. I find that she was very easy to train. A very good family dog in my opinion.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 8:46 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Actually a stafforshire bull terrier, a america stafforshire terrier, and a bull terrier are all considered "bully breeds" and are labeled as pit bulls. The term American pit bull terrier was just easier to say than American stafforshire terrier..... anyways, I've went ot vet tech school and worked with several veternarians.
    I have a 4 year old pit bull and I absolutely can not live without her! She's a wonderful dog, we have two small children and they lovew each other! They can do anything to her and she will never hurt them. She's a greta dog. I did spay her b/c I don't beleive in breeding pit buls only b/c so many need a home as it is.

Good luck, I'm sure you will love it... they are stubborn when it comes to house training but they are very smart too.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 9:37 AM on Jun. 7, 2009