• In the Spotlight:

If someone gets chicken pox, do you always have a ton of pox? or can you have some pox but not that many?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:21 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Health

• I remembre getting chicken pox but I got them right after I got measels so I remember them not being so bad...probably cuz I had rubella before

But they dont start out everywhere I know that much, it usually gets worse but it doesnt cover like head to toe or anything
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• you dont always get tons when my son got them he only had about 2 dozen or so but when i had them i had tons on tons of them...... usually if u only get a small case of them you can get them twice where if u have them bad the first time u wont get them twice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• It is possible to have a mild case of chicken pox. If you are not sure if you have had them, there is a blood test that can be done to determine if you have the immunity or not.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:20 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• When my girls got the chicken pox I could count the spots they had on my fingers.  It was enough to give them immunity because a few years later their best friends got the chicken pox and my girls didn't.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:42 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• When I had them as a child I had them all over. My sons had fewer, but they were pretty much all over their bodies.

Answer by Bmat at 8:39 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• when i had them, everyone at the babysitter had them, there were about 5 or 6 of us who had them, i had them the worse everywhere and when i say everywhere thats what i mean and the other kids just had a few
    lette_with_2

Answer by lette_with_2 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• If your child has been immunized for Chicken Pox, they will most likely only get a few, as the immunizations will not cause them from NOT getting them, but actually lessens the severity of the break out. I have been fortunate to not have to deal with any of that yet in my children. They are 10,7,6.

JEN
    GCWix-n-Stix

Answer by GCWix-n-Stix at 8:51 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• One of my sons got a ton of spots - head, feet, even in his throat making him throw up. My other son who had them at the same time had 3 spots that we saw - one on his lower eyelid, one on his neck and one on his chest. But he still had the same high fever.
    WillTimsmom

Answer by WillTimsmom at 8:55 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I agree with all above answers. I am a nurse, so each person is right and each child responds differently. Mostly now,it is only a few places but I do agree with getting a blood test to check as "rkoloms" suggested. Some docs will do this, others will not. Good luck and remember either put "Caladryl lotion OR give benadryl for itching. DONT DO BOTH. This cream has benadryl in it, so they could overdose (nothing that would harm them badly, just not done). You can get CALAMINE lotion and give benadryl orally but not the above together. Hope this helps
    nonnie3160

Answer by nonnie3160 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Even if they are not immunized, they can still just get a very mild case of them. Theres really no rule of thumb to go by. My two brothers and I had them back in the early 80's. My little brother had only a few spots, I had a moderate case and my older brother had them everywhere, even in his butt and his mouth. He was miserable. We had all contacted them from the same place and at the same time. I wished I had allowed my children to get them naturally, oh well. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:10 AM on Jun. 7, 2009