Question About Mucus Plug and Labor

Ok so I'm about 31 weeks according to my doctor (my SO and I actually think I'm closer to 34 weeks but no one is certain exactly). I think I lost my mucus plug today and I was wondering if that is bad, being so early? I have no other symptoms of labor yet but the baby has dropped down. This is my first pregnancy, and if I can't get in touch with my doctor should I go to the ER or is this normal to loose it this early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I personally would call your doc on Monday but in the meantime, keep yourself as rested as possible. I lost my mucous plug at 31 weeks with my daughter and freaked out and went up to L & D (even though i wasnt contracting and she was my second kid) and I was already 2 cm dilated so they put me on bedrest. It was very scary for me but even after being on bedrest til 37 weeks (at which point I was 5 cm dilated) I made it til my induction at 38 weeks!! Just relax and dont go running a mile tomorrow or anything and try to get to the doc on Monday if possible:) FYI... what some ladies call a mucous plug ends up not being one
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:46 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• lol no you dont need to go to the er.. it is a bit early but thats ok it will rejuvinate itself.

no worries about contacting your dr or anything its normal and a-ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• i lost mine at 22 weeks with my 1st and i am 25 with my second and lost it about a week ago..... u dont need to go to the ER now but if you are leaking any fluid that smells sweet or have an pains make sure u call ur doc and go to the doc or er to get checked.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• bed rest maybe if you start contractions or show any tightening in your pelvic area
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:28 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My water broke 3 days after I lost my plug at 34 weeks with my son. Some people don't go into labor for weeks after they lose it.

Did your mucus plug have a ting of blood in it? If so, I read that it means labor is close.
    fallin4aSOLDIER

Answer by fallin4aSOLDIER at 9:20 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Unless its bloody I wouldn't worry about it at all, The plug regrows, I lost mine at 24wks, now i'm almost 38wks dialated 3 and effaced to 80% and still no baby. But if you are still worried to ease your own mind go ahead and let your doctor know about it.
    froggie1008

Answer by froggie1008 at 10:03 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I lost mine at 39 weeks and went to the ER they checked me and admit me and I had my beautiful son :O) I dont think you should take advice about this from cafemom members reason being every pregnancy is different . listen to your boby and call your DR's office there is always a after hours line where you can speak to someone .
    Anonymous