could a 3 year old smother a 2 year old?

I saw a show 2night about this case involving 2 brothers and their fosterdad and the fosterdad was not found guilty of the 2 yr, olds death but their were still many ?s any1 see this?

2mothershelpers

Asked by 2mothershelpers at 3:45 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think a 3 year old can kill a 2 year old, and it sometimes does happen, I'm sure. But a 3 year old is too young to understand the concept of "death", "dead" and "killing". It also is not simply a case of copying something seen, either in the home, on TV, or elsewhere. A child can put a smaller child's head in a plastic bag, or push him/her into a mud puddle, all sorts of things, and have no concept of what he actually did, or that it was wrong.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• its possible that a 3 year old could
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:47 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Ofcourse it's possible. Anything is possible and yes i think it's a lifetime chic flick that i have seen before. I try not to watch stuff about children and death it's sad and i cry with things like that. I have a big heart for children and i hate to see bad stuff to happen to children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• no this was a real case on msnbc tonght and the Dr. said it was impossible but I agree kind of with you but I do not think a 3 year old would do this or is capable do you? He was a violent child and played smothered b4 his mom was abused by his dad
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 4:03 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• im watching this now on TLC.... and its really sad. but i dont think it was the foster dad.

they said he cant be violent at that age, but i dont think its him being violent, i think it was the child seeing his father abusing his mother in the past.

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:21 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I would think it would be possible. But I would assume it to be an accident, not on purpose.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• A 3 yr old can't be violent?! Hasn't the person who said that - not the poster here, but the person on the show they are quoting - seen a toddler throw a tantrum? Haven't they ever seen one child get mad and bite or hit another, or fight over a toy?

It isn't premeditated in the same way it is with adults or older kids, and they don't fully grasp the concept of why they shouldn't do these things yet, and they don't really get the possible harmful consequences to the other person yet.

But a toddler is quite capable of showing anger and / or violence.

I don't think they are capable of premeditation in regards to killing someone though - the concept of death and killing is too abstract for a toddler to come up with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:56 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• It's very possible. They kid could even be playing and not know what they were doing, who knows?
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:07 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:28 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My boys are two and three, and yes, they can get pretty violent. More than once the only thing that saved one or the other from real physical harm was close monitoring and intervention. It wasn't too terribly long ago my three year old tried to choke his little brother over candy. The little one stole some of his brother's Easter candy and the three year old threw him down on his back and tried to reach down his throat to get it back. So I can believe it's possible.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 7:41 AM on Jun. 7, 2009