Children and T.V

My daughter JUST turned one, and has never been even slightly intersted in t.v, but other kids her age and youger are glued to the t.v, i wish she would watch t.v sometimes, just for 20min even would be nice lol so my question is do ur younger children watch t.v? and how long do they? ive tried every kind of show with her from baby einstein to sesame street even garfield cartoons, no interest. what do u think about little ones and t.v?

kyliebugs_mommy

Asked by kyliebugs_mommy at 5:14 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd watches parts of some shows... she LOVES kialan tho (her name is kyla so I think she thinks it's about her??!) She likes to dance to all the songs, knows her shapes, knows almost all her body parts... eyes, ears, nose, head, shoulders, fingers, elbows, knees, belly button, butt, etc. She learned some of the sign language from these shows and is learning some of the spanish and chinese from other shows. I need to cut back on her tv time becuase the snow FINALLY melted and even tho it hasn't been NICE, it's been all right to go outside. We just gotta make sure we watch for bears and moose. And when she's not watching tv, she's falling off the couch or bed and laughing, or running in circles. I do also sit down with her and explain what the show is about or do the actions as well.... it's a weird part of our bonding time. When i have to do housework, she helps becuase i'm not allowed to leave her in a room alone.. she says
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:31 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Well my daughter has been watching TV since she was a little over a year old. She is now 2 1/2 and probably watches too much. She has always had the attention span to sit and watch a show from start to finish, which is a blessing and a curse. I would agree that it's convenient to have 20-30 minutes to shower or get something else done while she is occupied, but I would advise you not to encourage too much TV watching. I would also advise that you record some shows off of the TV or buy some DVDs so that once she does decide she likes to sit through a show, you have it on hand when it's convenient for you. I'd recommend Dora the Explorer, The Wiggles, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse... anything with a lot of singing and dancing will probably get her attention.
    MamaApril2

Answer by MamaApril2 at 7:12 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My DD was the same as yours. She loves animals and one day when she was 18 mos I put in a 20 min movie about a petting farm. She loved it!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:15 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My son didnt even notice the tv on until about 18-20 mos. I remember thinking how i wished he would sit for even 20 minutes. One day he got intruiged by something on there. I think it was the doodlebops and he loves tv now, but he is super picky about what he watches. He changes faves every few months. Hes just now exiting the Oswald stage and entering the Thomas the Train, or anything else he hasnt seen lately. Hes done with Dora, Diego, he hates the Wonderpets, Backyardigans or anything with too much dialogue. Hes just immature I guess. Hes 3.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:20 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My daughter started actually paying attention to the TV shortly after her 1st birthday. She was at a friends house and LOVED Handy Manny, still loves Handy Manny at 18 months... ;)
    She really likes the Disney shows, and we thankfully have them On Demand.

If you really want her to watch TV a little, just try to find something she likes and make it interactive. Talk to her about what's going on and encourage her to participate. My daughter does it on her own now, but I still sit with her and point and talk and get up and do what the character tells us. It's fun.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 11:09 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My soon to be 2 year old loves to watch his favorite shows on t.v. He loves to watch backyardigans, wonder pets and spongebob(he finds him funny hehe). He watches tv on and off, it stays on all day but he is not glued to it all day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My son is 2 and has never watched tv. We don't plan on letting him watch until he's about 6, and even then it will be extremely limited. The tv is almost never on at our house, and when it is on, it's only after our son has gone to bed.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 11:18 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• my son is 2 1/2 and LOVES tv. i try not to let him watch too much but when i do he's glued to it.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 2:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• DD is 29 months and she LOVES certain shows , Dora, Diego, Yo Gabba Gabba, Spongebob, iCarly , Jonas Brothers, Blues Clues. We try not to let her watch more than a few hours here and there through out the day.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 2:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• If she's not interested I wouldn't push it! Believe me, it will come sooner or later. My 2 year-old has only watched Signing TIme DVDs (about one 20 min. episode a couple times a week) since about one year old. My 9 month-old has seen a couple of minutes here and there, but has never been put in front of the tv. Read to your baby instead!
    Anonymous