How can i deal with my in laws

Ok so my BIL came over today and right from the start was being obnoxious. He is 20 years older than me and it is the first time he has met my dd. Well I told him not to make these sounds at her cos she hates them and he kept going so she cried and only stopoed when i held her close. Then he wanted to hold her but she screamed.
He was picking on me all day. Like how much salt I was using in my potatoes, if i should hold my baby like that, if she should be eating solids and what she is capable of. It ended in a screaming match where he told me to f *** off in my own house and said I am taking his brother away from him. I called him arrogant and aggressive and he is not welcome. He also told my dd that he cant wait for her to grow up so he can tell her how horrible and bad i am. WTF

My MIL is ok but says nasty things

Has anyone else experienced this kind of abuse at hands of their inlaws and what can you do about it?

mummylovebaby

Asked by mummylovebaby at 6:19 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• You DH shouldn't have let it get so out of hand to begin with. I don't know what to tell you other than I'm glad you stuck up for yourself.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:08 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• You married one man, not the whole family. You don't have to have a relationship with them. Don't go visit them, don't call them on the phone. Be as polite as possible, when you do see them, but don't start anything.

I'd say to have your husband say something to them, and I guess I'm a little surprised that he didn't. There's no way my man would allow anyone to talk to me like that, wouldn't matter if it was his brother, or mother, or whoever. He needs to defend you, and make it PERFECTLY clear that he will not tolerate his family treating you like that.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 6:42 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• See thats what i think also and what i would do. He told me that when he went outside he told him what for but could not do it in front of me because of our baby. If that was my bro i would have to restrain myself from pushing his head through a window

My BIL is not welcome in my house ever again. They can meet out. And i hardly talk to them anyway because they are only interested in their family and not me. Sad huh
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 6:46 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Your BIL did this?? If hes 20 yrs older than you, how old are you? Because he sounds like hes 12. Yes, I agree about not having them him in your home again. Hes obviously mad about your relationship with his brother. As far as your inlaws go, just treat them like humans. Treat them like you want to be treated. Be kind, compassionate and let them hold the baby and see the baby. They wont hurt her and they probably love her very much. The BIL seems nuts...I would stay away from him...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:13 AM on Jun. 7, 2009