Can't You Just Be My Friend Instead Of Trying To Sell Me On Your Business Opportunity?

I always have friend request of other moms wanting to be my friend.They tell me how cute my kids are,After about a week of chatting back and fourth,they start talking about thier business.I'm just here to make friends.Not people forcing their business on me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• Yes, thats extremely annoying. It makes you feel like they only wanted your potential business and not to be your friend. I dont like being used either. I'll be your friend.....and Im not selling anything...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:04 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I have to agree with you on this as well - Many of us have home based businesses and unfortunately, you will see a lot of people who are only looking for a way to advance themselves, and don't really care if they are your friends or not - I have found that to be true on about evey networking group that I have joined. It gets frustrating - And to be totally honest - I have quit using a lot of those groups because of that issue. My theory is, if a person wants to know about your business, they will ask you about it and then you can talk to them about it - Don't try to be sly and "Sneak" your way into their life to be a pest!

JEN ALLEN
    GCWix-n-Stix

Answer by GCWix-n-Stix at 8:38 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Yup, I've had "friends" like that too. After about one message or two, I start getting bulletins every day or every week about the sales going on on their website. Frankly, I just delete them because I'm not interested.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:10 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Send them to me... I would love to talk business more! I always inform people that I have a business, But after that if they don't ask, I don't tell! I don't think that's right and it really doesn't look to good... Usually though I have it right in the invite. Something like "I'm a WAHM or 2 boys ages 2 & 3. I have 2 businesses. Have a wonderful..." You get the picture... I figure if they want to know they will ask.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:23 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Sneaky-Spam is what I call it, you can report them to Support btw.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I had a woman with a kiddo the same age as mine start talking to me in the grocery store one time, and I really liked her. I was excited at the idea of a friend for me AND my kiddo, and she and I exchanged phone numbers. I talked to her once, and it was great. The second time, all she could talk about was doing her Mary Kay parties... that was it. No play dates, no nothing, just all business, trying to get me to set up a party.
    I was really hurt by it, actually.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 10:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• CafeMom has a rule against unsolicited advertising. If you report these messages to CafeMom (just a simple click) they will stop.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I agree totally with what you're saying! I have a home based business myself but, come on! I want friends too! Not just "business friends" that I only see at events or talk business with. I want to talk to someone to see how their kids are doing or ask them what they think of a shirt I just bought! Are there any groups on Cafe Mom that is just centered around everyday things and talking to people on a personal level without business advertisments or anything? If so, will you please PM me. I would like to join a group like that.
    Homemommy0503

Answer by Homemommy0503 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Thanks for the nice changeof pace.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 2:20 AM on Jun. 9, 2009