What is your opinion on this statement?

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?"
-Epicurus

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Very thought provoking.

For me the God and Goddess are not as involved in the everyday activities of this world as other faiths believe.

Also, I believe that the God and Goddess are both "good and evil".  They are a balance of both as this world must maintain a balance to survive.  To me as long as balance remains, the God and Goddess do not intercede.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:59 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I dont personally agree. Simply because evil is within us. It comes out of the heart of humans. Us, being people of free will have to deal with our own evil. If we choose to open our hearts and really look, and ask God to help us, then fine, but many people either dont want to or dont know its even there. When God gave free will to man, he took his hand off the steering wheel of our lives until we chose to give it back. We cant blame evil on God. Only on ourselves. Every evil in this world is done by man. Just my thoughts.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:01 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I agree with it...

momofsaee, you miss the point. Even if evil came from men's hearts, it had to be created and since man doesn't create anything- god does, then it ultimately came from god. Also, if it does exist and god does nothing about it, then he is either evil, uncaring or unable to do anything about it.
    Free will is an illusion because supposedly, your god knows the outcome of everything and knows your heart, so wouldn't he already know what you are going to do before you do it? The choices you think you are making are not really choices, but simply the pre-determined outcome already known.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:05 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• How many times to we, as parents, need to discipline our children? For me, it's many times every day. Sometimes my children try to do something that will hurt them, so I have to step in ahead of time and offer correction... that usually upsets them, because they can't see the pain that was about to happen to them or someone else. Sometimes I need to discipline them because they have been defiant or disobedient. Then there are other times when I need to sit back and just watch something happen that will likely cause them pain, because sometimes we just need to learn from our mistakes.
    There is evil in our world, and our children sin, just as we all do. Do we like having to see our children go through the negative, as a result of evil and sin? Of course not. But, we live in a fallen world.
    I think of God as my Heavenly Daddy. He watches over me and protects me. He has to step in at times an correct my behavior. cont
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 8:14 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Then there are other times when I need to learn from my mistakes.
    In every single situation, no matter what it is, God has a plan to use it for the good. He is all-powerful and loving, even when we don’t understand. As a child I could not always see that my parents were looking out for me, and they always loved me. My understanding was very limited. Likewise, we cannot understand everything about God, because our understanding is so very limited.
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 8:15 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• beccare2000,

Yes, but god's punishment and our as parents differ greatly. Do you let another person die in order to teach a person a lesson? Do you take everything they own and leave them homeless in order to punish them or teach them a lesson? Do you let bad, horrible things happen without stepping in and trying to fix them because they might ultimately serve a purpose in someone elses life?

Also, you say we live in a fallen world full of sin- if your god could send his son to die like he did in order to get rid of a sin Adam and Eve caused the world to have, then why can't he take away ALL sin? Why would he chose to let it be here and for the people he professes to love and care about go through awful things in order to be taught a lesson? Why is it only through pain and suffering you can know the love of your god?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:26 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I agree with it. That Epicurus guy was mentioned in a book I was reading, Living Without God. I guess he's a famous atheist.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:29 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• It was my understanding that God gave people free will and that's why he doesn't step in....my SO says the same thing (I'm spiritual, he's an atheist) when we talk about God.

ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:32 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• There are instances in the bible where someone does not have free will. Take the Pharaoh of Egypt- it is said in the Bible that God hardened his heart. I take this to mean that even if Pharaoh wanted to be kind and let Moses and the people go, it was not God's will and so he forced him to behave in way that furthered God's own agenda.
    Exo 4:21
    And the LORD said unto Moses, When thou goest to return into Egypt, see that thou do all those wonders before Pharaoh, which I have put in thine hand: but I will harden his heart, that he shall not let the people go.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:07 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Josh 11:19-20
    There was not a city that made peace with the children of Israel, save the Hivites the inhabitants of Gibeon: all other they took in battle.
    For it was of the LORD to harden their heart, that they should come against Israel in battle, that he might destroy them utterly, and that they might have might have no favour, but that he might destroy them, as the LORD commanded Moses.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:08 AM on Jun. 7, 2009