Can something come from nothing?

Regardless of whether you believe in Creationism or The Big Bang, neither one of these theories came from nothing. God was always there- so he is something. Space was there and so it is something.

Just pondering...

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:38 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not if time is completely linear. What we see in physics is conservation of energy- energy can be transformed, but not created or lost. Thus what we see as a constant is energy... and I find it very possible that our universe is just a very small part of a very vast cosmic energy. I also find it very possible that time as we understand as beginning at point A and proceding to point B and then point C has more to do with our brain's understanding of time than of the nature of the universe itself... without linear time with a beginning and an end questions of 'before' and 'after' take on very different meanings. I don't pretend to understand the origins of anything... but my logic tells me that energy is the constant that flows through everything.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Well if time is linear, than there has to be a beginning. A very first something if you will. So if you cannot get something from nothing, than where did that first something (or god) come from? Now if time is circular, and everything just loops, the first something comes from the last something. But your still stuck with the question of what started the cycle that very first time?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:59 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Confusing, isn't it? This is something one could sit and think about forever and never come to a conclusion about!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:14 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• With this I typically turn to science. I truly believe energy cannot be created nor destroyed so in my mind there has never been "nothing" energy has always existed. Is that energy "God"...that depends on your belief. Is time truly linear or do we as humans choose to perceive it as linear in order to understand "our beginning". What if time isn't linear?

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:23 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• i don't find it confusing at all... and there is answers, God says of himself that he is the ever living.. He never dies. does not beget nor was he begotten. He also says he is the creator of everything on earth and in the heavens. i can quote Quran for evidence if you like. let me know!
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:37 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• i think we spend alot of time trying to figure out details.. instead of looking at what God has presented us with and starting from there. Once you learn who God is, and what your role in this world is, the rest becomes easier to understand. It all stems from belief in God and belief in his books and ALL OF HIS MESSENGERS WITHOUT NEGATING ANY OF THEM
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:40 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I believe the energy that created us has always been around, and will continue to be around, even after our earth is no longer within our universe.
    Energy can neither be created nor destroyed...It just "is".
    I don't believe a God has anything to do with it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• It is all very confusing, and I try to not spend too much time dwelling on questions I simply can not answer. My life is very short, and I intend to get the most out of it, while I can.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:48 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• anetrnlov, but energy is something, so even if life came from energy, it came from something.

Aasiyah, I applaud your faith, but since I don't agree with you about God, I cannot accept your answer. Even if God did create everything- he was still something and it came from something. You have told me before that you are not supposed to question your beliefs or wonder about things you have no answer for but simply believe, sorry, I just can't do that.

my2.5boys, you might believe thinking about things like this a waste of time, but some of us actually find it FUN to wonder and theorize about it. I don't lock myself in a room and ponder things until I'm a raving lunatic, but I do think about the universe and question life, as I think most people do.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:33 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Ihartu, that was my point.  ;-)

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 10:35 AM on Jun. 7, 2009