What is truth?

Most people think something is true if and only if the majority of people agree that it is true.

For instance if I say the walls are tan and three people tell me they aren't, then it is false to say 'the walls are tan'.

If I say the dog is in the room and the people all agree it is, then it is true that the dog is in the room.

So how can something be considered absolute truth if not everyone agrees that it is?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:50 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know that all the things I hold to be true in my life, are only my perceived truths. These are conclusions that I have drawn from my life experiences that make them true for me. That doesn't make them true for everyone else, however. I would love to become enlightened, to have all the answers, to know the absolute truth of how the universe, life, everything came into being. But I don't. All I can do is interpret the information and experiences that I have available to me, and make my best guesses.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:43 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Sorry IhartU, but just because people agree with something or not, doesn't affect the validity of it. The truth is the truth, whether people see it or not.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• But just because YOU say something is true does not mean it is. There may be others who think it's not true, so then who is right? If something cannot not be proved one way or another, than it just can't and there is no truth because truth needs absolute proof.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:58 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Some people can not handle the truth.
    missamerica1

Answer by missamerica1 at 9:01 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• You're right, just because I say something is true, doesn't make it so. But the truth is still there. The truth doesn't change just because I don't have proof? I may not be able to convince any one else to see it, but it doesn't become any less true because I lack absolute proof.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:02 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I do not believe humans (the vast majority) know absolute truth...our truths are perceived.  Even in Science, Medicine, History "known truths" are constantly changing, evolving, expanding. 

I believe absolute truth is saved for the truly enlightened (part of the reason I believe in reincarnation).

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:02 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• my2.5boys, then it would only be YOUR truth and not absolute truth which is something EVERYONE agrees on.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:10 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• anetrnlov,

That's true...

Something we might think to be absolute truth will change as more discoveries and advancements in technology and science come about. So does that mean there is no absolute truth EVER? Hmm....
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:12 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Well, there is absolute Truth out there. Now just because no one knows what it is or all that it is doesnt mean it doesnt exist. I believe there HAS to be because there are answers for almost everything. Just like if a tree falls in the woods and no one sees it, how do we know that it really fell. Well we eventually see the evidence of it. Now also everyone has their own version of what truth is, that is a fact, and some of us might be right, and some of us might be somewhat right and some of us might be wrong totally. We will eventually know, either when we die or when Christ comes. Thats my belief. So while that might not be true for you, and I respect that its not, it doesnt mean its not whats going to happen, but it doesnt necessarily mean that its going to happen just as people percieve in their own minds. I just dont think anyone can truly know so we have to go with whats in our hearts. We all seem to be good at that.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:17 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• No, I believe absolute truth exist but as I said is reserved for the enlightened.

For a soul to become enlightened (in my opinion) it must be reincarnated and learn pre-determined lessons in life (though I do not think the order of learning is pre-determined).

I believe Ghandi and Buddha were enlightened....as well as others.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:18 AM on Jun. 7, 2009