what is a good source of calcium, I am trying to take my 7 year old off of milk to see if it would help with the build up of mucus.

He has a lot of allergies

MissGirl40

Asked by MissGirl40 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• have you tried soy or lactose-free milk?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Flintstones vitamins have one with added calcium. Also Dark green veggies like spinach, broccoli, collards, okra and bok choy have some calcium along with rhubarbs, salmon and tofu . I think that some beans do to. Not to mention Orange juice with calcium. I love the minuet Maid Kids.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:28 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Yes it does help. I ve noticed that milk adds a lot of mucus in not only myself but also my kids too. We have limited dairy intake. Yogurt and cheese doesnt do that though. Not for us. The pp mentioned some great things with calcium. I have one child that wont touch milk at all.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:51 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Like many other nutrients, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Beans, dark leafy vegetables, etc. Here is a great article on plant based calcium from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 12:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Spinach. Use it in place of lettuce for sandwiches and salads. Broccoli 'trees ' with cheese dip. Beans are good, make whole wheat wraps with beans and cheese.
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 4:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2009