I have low Amniotic fluid, is an Amniocenteses dangerous to be done at 36 weeks, to check lung function?

butrflyekises

Asked by butrflyekises at 9:35 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• An amniocentesses always has a risk of miscarraige. If it is necessary for you to have than I would. If you really think about it everything has a risk. I would ask your doctor to weigh out the pros and cons before making your decision.
    froggie1008

Answer by froggie1008 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I'm confused...did your dr suggest an amnio at 36 wks? Why would they not just deliver the baby at that point? My son was born at 36 wks. It takes some time to get amnio results back anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I don't know anything about that but try drinking more water. what ever you take in is what the baby lives in lots and lots of water. GL
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• i had the same problem but i was around 20 weeks. i had "low amniotic fluid" and the amnio proved everything was fine. im not sure that 36 weeks is smart to do it at, but they use ultrasound to guide the needle and chances of anything bad happening are like 1%. at your gestational age, miscarriage chance is extremely low, the other risks are infection which chances are also low and possibly poking the baby but the ultrasound again will guide them. it only takes about 5-10 min and it's over. GL
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• They said that my baby was 9 lbs and wanted to see if his lungs were ready at 37 week. 5 mins after leaving the doctors I went into laber. So make sure that you have someone with you. I went to the hospital and they stopped it until we found out if his lungs were ready. By the way they were not.
    vickyburns

Answer by vickyburns at 8:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2009