for stay at home moms: how late does your three year old sleep in the morning?

i stay at home with my daughter. i don't work and she doesn't go to preschool or anything so we don't have a reason to wake up super early. we put her in a toddler bed after she turned 3 in april, and ever since then she's been waking up right at or around 7am everyday. i'd like to get her to sleep a little later, an hour at least. even when she doesn't take naps(which is most of the time) she is up at 7am and goes to bed around 8 or 9 pm, and still wakes up at 7am the next day. is this something i'm just gonna have to get used to? or is there a way i can get her to sleep a little later?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son just turned 4. He stays up later than my girls during the school year (6yo in bed at 8pm, 10 year old in bed at 9pm). My son often stays up till 10pm or later and he sleeps until 9-9:30 am.

Now that school is out, my 6yo still goes to bed between 8-8:30 and gets up around 7:30. My 10 yo and 4 yo like to stay up till around 10:30 and they sleep till 9 am on most mornings.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:52 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My son was also 3 in April and though we are both at home all day, we do have to get up to take the other kids to school. Now that its summer, he goes to bed about 9-10 and wakes at about 10 as well. Hes not a nap taker either. I think that a child this age with no nap should sleep about 12 hrs in a 24 hr period. So if he does take a nap, then he goes down later. Sometimes without a nap, he ends up asleep by 8and I can bet he will be up by 8 the next day. Try making her stay up until about 9:30 and see how she does. Just move her bed time back by about 30 min at a time. SEven is awfully early for a child who doesnt go to school. Im with you...I would want one more hour...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:35 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My son is 3 as well and no matter what time i put him to bed he was up at 6 every morning so i bought a fan to cut out road noise and a pull down black out shade for his window and that helped get at least another hour if not 2 in the am
    J_L_Fshr

Answer by J_L_Fshr at 10:44 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• my dd will be 3 next month & she usually gets up between 7:30-8:00.... i take her to bed around the same time @ night b/c she don't nap
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• About 6 or 6:30.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• my daughter is 2 1/2 and she goes to bed at 10 and sleeps till somewhere between 10 and 12 in the morning
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 12:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Mine gets up around 7:30. Despite a pitch black room, I have never been able to get her to sleep later. The only time is when she is sick and even then she is awake long before 8am.

Don't try wearing her out or forcing her to drop a nap. If she no longer naps, try to get her to take an early afternoon break - a quiet time where she lays on her bed and reads a book or plays quietly with her stuffed animals. Consider moving her bedtime up too - a preschooler still needs 11 to 13 hours of sleep each day. Exactly how much your child will need will vary but mine needs close to 13. Without it, she has tantrums easily, gets bags and dark circles under her eyes, and trips and runs into things when she plays.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• my 4 yr old sleeps from 10 pm to 10 am and hasn't napped in 2 yrs. my 1st and 3rd daughters will wake up by 8 am no matter how late they go to sleep. They have been that way all their lives. I think it has to do with the kid and not sure it can be changed.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:43 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My 3 year old is asleep by 9 and up between 7-8:30. He takes at least an hour nap in the afternoon. Will she snuggle in and go back to sleep in your bed? That might give you an extra half hour.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• my 4 yr old has woken up every morning at 6:30 on the dot since birth. no matter what time he goes to bed, he is up at 6:30. its taken some time to get used to, but im a morning person. my 2 yr old sleep till 8:30 or 9, which i like because then wesley and i have some alone time, with out brother.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2009