Is there a good way to go about introducing my daughter to the pool?

We're going swimming at my dad's house today. She's five months old and today will be her first experience in the pool. She HATES bathtime, I think because she hates having water anywhere hear her face. Do you think there's a chance she'll like the pool even though she hates the bath?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 9:44 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah. She might like the pool. For my kids temperature is the biggest factor. If the pool is cold, none of my kids like getting in it. For my kids, I introduce them slowly. I'll carry them in and get them wet very slowly from the feet up.

She may fuss a little.... but try to wait it out for a minute and see if she calms down and gets used to the water.Chances are, it will feel a little chilly to her at first.  If she doesn't calm down in the pool within a few monutes (with you holding her) then I would take her out and try again later.

Good Luck!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:08 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• This is what I'd do. Hold her the entire time you're introducing her to the water. Let her toes or feet hang in the water for a minute so she isn't shocked about the temperature change. And then gradually put her in the water.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Hold her close and just try dipping her feet/legs for a little bit. Then if she seems amenable, try immersing her a little more. You also might look into those floaties that babies sit in.
    ta2dirishlass

Answer by ta2dirishlass at 10:37 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Hopefully its heated! When I started my dd in swimming lessons last month I just slowly went in and put the water on her arms and legs and just talked to her the whole time. When we were all the way in I just kinda bounced up and down with her and she loves to smack the cement on the side and splash the water. So I let her do that as long as she was having fun. Just take it slow and have fun!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:46 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• At 5 months, you can try but I wouldn't push it. Especially if it's really cold (the pools here are still really cold; I don't know where you live). By the end of the summer your baby will likely be taking in her surroundings much more and should enjoy it. My first daughter didn't really like her bath until she finally "got" what was happening to her... when she could sit up and move around a bit. Just take it slowly and don't be disappointed if she's not a water baby today... it doesn't mean she'll never love it (or her bath either)!.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My son hates baths but loves the pool. I think it's because we are in there with him. Perhaps it makes it less scary? I don't know. I just brought him in the pool with my and walked around holding him showing him all the fun pool toys and stuff. lol! He fussed for a few minutes, but then he calmed down and discovered he could splash! haha. good luck!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2009