Okay, I'll add to the discussion...Is Gay Marriage Good for the Economy?

The expansion of legal gay marriage across New England could deliver an economic windfall by attracting youthful workers to a region with an aging population. Sounds like legalizing gay marriage, at least in this region, would be a good way to stimulate the economy and that is what we all want, right? Economic stimulation.

blakebrm

Asked by blakebrm at 9:48 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I live in Maine, which just passed to Legalize Gay Marriage... I am also a Wedding Planner, so I may be biased here.. However, I can assure you that I have more weddings this year, than I did last year. Maine is a destination. Last year, I had 5 weddings.. This year, so far, I have 9..

out of the 9 I have, 4 of them are Gay/Lesbian Couples.

I have almost double the amount of business as I did last season. How can you NOT say this is not stimulating the economy??
    Zanny

Answer by Zanny at 10:03 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I don't see how it wouldn't stimulate the economy. Much less the support to small businesses if the people have ceremonies and celebrations with cake and formal rentals and such...
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:50 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• It certainly wouldn't hurt it.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 9:55 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I think thats a good observation, but I dont think it will help nor hinder the economy. It could really go both ways, but think about how many more ceremonies and weddings will be planned and then think about how many businesses might want to not participate either because they dont agree or dont want to get involved. I mean as much as I personally dont care, there are many people who arent just going to go along with it. Whether its right or wrong, business can refuse service to anyone. So I think if there is any economic growth, then it might be localized in certain areas and not really nationwide.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:57 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• No, it wouldn't help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Stimulate or not, they should be able to marry anyway. We live in a country of ignorance and hatred.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• it may stimulate you a hair but to think it would stimulate the economy is a big stretch. I don't care either way either but the stimulate the economy hype is just that-hype.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:09 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Anon @ 7am, why not?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 10:15 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Just a hair? It nearly doubled.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 10:16 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• yes a hair in comparison to the entire economy. Like I said I don't care either way but if your for or against at least be realistic in your argument.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:17 AM on Jun. 7, 2009