If you plan a party for your child (any type) and gifts are involved, would you keep the money in gifts your child received?

This was a discussion on a radio station a couple weeks ago. I could not believe all the parents calling in saying they KEPT the money because they paid so much into the party for costs! I would never do this in a million years, would you?

Teachermom01

Asked by Teachermom01 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• No I would absolutely not keep it for myself! I don't know many people that give young kids money for a gift instead of an actual present of some sort, but if that ever did happen, I would put the money in some sort of account for my son or if there was something special he wanted for his bday that he didn't get, maybe I would use the money to buy him whatever it was that he wanted. People give that money to the CHILD not to the PARENT. And I totally agree with RanaAurora...if you didn't want to spend that much money on a bday party than you shouldn't have! But STEALING the money someone intended to be as a gift for your child is not right....no matter how much you spent on the party. That money was not for you.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:09 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• No, I have put money in savings for them, when my kids get birthday money. I let my son use some of it for something he would like. Then set the rest aside. My daughter is only 1 1/2.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Never. They don't usually get money they. They get giftcards for something like Toys R Us or The Disney Store, and I really have no desire to use those myself. Alot of people in our families just put money into their 529 college funds if they are baffled as to what to buy two kids whos eems to have EVERYTHING.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 10:03 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• No.... my kids get their birthday money unless they are saving for something big. If they want a big ticket item, I will save the money for them until they have enough. That is how my ten year old has bought her own pets, Nin DS, and Game Cube. They were all using birthday and christmas money that she saved up until she had enough to get what she wanted.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:03 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't keep it, but I'd put it into a savings account for him. My son got about $2000 when he was born and I put it all in savings. I'll continue to put it in savings until he gets older. I would never keep it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I misread this question and I was thinking you said that you couldnt believe people would keep the money. I see you mean the PARENT keeps the money rather than giving it to the child. It took me a minute. My kids are older so theres no way I would or could. They take their money and pocket it quickly. They are careful to count it out and know exactly how much they have to spend...LOL. I usually hold onto it for them but I always let them know how much they have accrued. On an average birthday my kids recieve about $75 to $100. If there is something that they specifically want, then they might get it, but for the most part most of the relatives give them money. They have exhausted all their gift buying days...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:20 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I would save it for them.I make enough money.It is the childs money.If they spend alot of money that is the parents fault for not budgeting.These parents have no sense.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I would keep it in terms of not handing it over to them, b/c they are too young to handle it themselves. But to keep it and use it myself or consider it payment for the party, no I would never do that.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:48 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• NO! That makes me sick!
    If you didn't want to spend the money on the party, DON'T, but don't steal your child's freakin' present! And yes, money IS a present.
    My kiddo has a wallet that all of his money goes in, and a piggy bank. We taught him early what money is for, and also frugality and how to save up for something. It's not our money to dictate what's done with it.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 10:52 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• On the radio they were talking about birthday parties, graduation parties, all kinds of parties. Parents actually admitted to taking Grad Money!!!!! I was just appalled at that one the most because most older kids use that for college things.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 7, 2009